"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Youth Council, Liver Doctor, Halloween, Bear Award, Flu Shots, Corn Maze, Haunted Maze, Carving Pumpkins, Family Pictures

When everyone got back home we didn't have any time to rest and recuperate.  We were thrown right back into the craziness.  We all survived it, though.  I started back to work Tuesday and didn't have a day off until Sunday.  However, I did get off of work Tuesday night just in time to drive over and see Josh's swearing in ceremony for the city Youth Council. They called each youth council member up to receive a certificate and to shake the city council peoples hands.  Here's Josh shaking the council members' hands:
Here's the 2019-2020 Youth Council:
I wasn't as lucky to make it to Noah's Cub Scout Pack meeting Wednesday night, though.  Luckily, Aaron and G&G T made it so they were all able to see him get his Bear award.
Wahoo, Noah!
This is the last Pack Meeting our ward will have ever since the church is parting ways with the scouting program.  Glad Noah got his Bear!

Thursday night I got to see all my family come in to work.  I didn't get assigned to my kids home elementary school to do the flu shots there so we waited to get them done until I was at another close elementary which is what happened Thursday night.  Josh came by himself since he had to work that night.
He was brave--haha!
Although Daniel HATES shots, blood draws, etc.  he did really well with getting the shot this year.  As long as he doesn't look at me or talk to me while I am administering the shot he is good.
 Noah was being a bit of a dork, but we got it done:
 Sarah just took it in stride.  After getting monthly blood draws and two different hospital stays with tons of blood draws there, too, shots really don't bother her.
 Matthew was not a fan and was quite vocal about it, but he held still and let me give the shot anyway.
 I tried to find the biggest needle I could for Aaron, but we only carry the super small needles--haha! I am totally kidding.  Aaron was brave, too.
Glad they all could come in so I could give them their shots.

Saturday after I got home from work, we all went to Black Island Farms.  Since Josh worked there at the scary maze he got some free tickets for us to go as a family.  Sarah was excited because she finally had an excuse to wear her new dance team jacket with her name on it:

Josh had to work at his other job at Urban Air so he did part one of the maze with us.  There were three parts to this years maze.  Here we are at the lookout tower in the middle of the maze:

We also did the big slide before Josh had to leave for work.  Here's all the kids going down except Daniel.  He went before I could take his picture.
Aaron got his picture at the bottom so there is proof that he went down the slide--haha!
After that Josh had to leave for work.  We did let the kids play on the other slides, though.  Here's Matthew:
 They did the tractor train.  It was pretty hard to Matthew to fit in the little car, but he forced himself in.  It's hard when he is an 8 year old intellectual wise inside a lanky 18 year old body--poor guy.
 More slides and hay bales to climb on:
 Photo op:
We then went on the tractor ride out to the pumpkin patch to pick some pumpkins. It was a bit chilly I must say.  Poor Noah lost his jacket in the maze and we never found it so he was extra cold.

Matthew and Sarah picking their pumpkins:
 They had some decent sized pumpkins and the kids could carry their own pumpkins so they got the biggest ones they could find.
There were tons of pumpkins to pick from:
 We then piled them all in the back of the van.
 Later that evening after Josh got off work from Urban Air we went back over to Black Island Farms to do the scary maze.  Since we didn't get Lagoon passes this year I was sad we wouldn't be able to do our traditional scary night together.  We would usually hit Frightmares and do all the haunted houses there.  However, Josh got some passes to the haunted maze and asked me to go with him that evening.  I was excited to go with him.  No one else in my family likes haunted/scary things so I was glad he wanted to be my buddy.  Here we are waiting in line and it was really cold and windy--brrr!
It didn't take us long to get through the maze. Josh knew it like the back of his hand since he worked in it as Pennywise.  It was fun to go with him, though.  It makes me sad because next year might be my last year going with him since he will be leaving on a mission soon after--eeek!!  I am trying not to think about that too much since it makes me a bit sad....

As for Sarah we had an appointment with the liver clinic down at Primary Children's Hospital Monday morning.  Her liver enzymes continue to be quite elevated and have gone up some from her last blood draw 6 weeks ago.  Boo!!  Her liver doctor said she needs to be followed regularly at this point so we will make the trek to Primary's at least every 6 months or more often if there are problems.  She will be getting blood drawn every 3 months to see what her numbers are and probably another liver biopsy next year to see what things look like and if there are changes from the last biopsy on the cellular level.  They will also be routinely testing for autoimmune markers to see if something becomes positive.  They aren't 100% sure what is going on with her, but are still thinking it might be the early stages of PBC. You can read about that HERE. Also with my horrible family history of liver disease they definitely want to keep a close eye on her.  They are looking into doing some genetic testing to see if she has any of the known genes for liver disease.  Luckily, Sarah feels fine and her stomach was soft as well as her liver does not have any stiffening so far.  Just watching and waiting to see how things progress is a bit frustrating, but we will take it a day at a time.  In trying to be positive I really do love the view of the Salt Lake Valley from Primary's.  Here we are waiting to be seen at the liver clinic enjoying the view:
The city youth council put on their annual pumpkin walk Monday evening.  Josh dressed up in Noah's old Whoopie Cushion costume. To make things more realistic he brought along a portable speaker and played fart noises on it all night as he handed out candy.  We are such a classy family--haha!  Here he is picking out the best of the best fart sound to play for us as we stopped by.  What a dork!
Did I mention it was so incredibly cold?!  I tried to take a picture of the pumpkins along the walkway but I was shivering to hard to hold the camera still.  It was so cold!!
Tuesday evening everyone had a free night which rarely happens anymore.  We waited until after dinner and then started carving our pumpkins.  Matthew is there in the picture, too you just can't see him:
 Here's our masterpieces:
After carving pumpkins we finally sat down and watched the movie Mrs. Doubtfire.  The kids had never seen this movie before and that became very apparent when on our cruise Josh had to act out a scene from that movie.  Luckily, Josh is Josh and did fine acting out that particular scene despite not seeing the movie.  However, now our family has scene the movie and are more well rounded because of it--haha!

Thursday morning I got the kids ready and dressed in their Halloween costumes.  Sarah and her friend had a duo costume.  Her friend Laurie was an angel and Sarah was a devil.  Here they both are during their school's Halloween parade:

 Noah was a doctor.  Luckily Sarah had her liver appointment the Monday before so we grabbed a few masks for Noah to wear to make his costume more authentic.  That is what is around his neck/mouth:
That evening it was time to go out trick or treating.  Matthew absolutely loves going so I don't have to heart to tell him he is too old.  However, we just stick around to our neighborhood where people know him so they don't judge too hard when they get an excited 18 year old at their door.  He is a ghoul that feels safety is important--haha!  He was supposed to be just a ghoul, but wanted to wear his safety vest, too.
Daniel went trick or treating with friends.  He went as James Dean and even got to use Aaron's old leather jacket in his costume:
 Sophie went as a lumberjack, but absolutely HATED her costume.  She would try and scratch off the hat and chew it up every chance she got.
 Ready to go get some candy.  Sarah went with Laurie:
 Noah went with his friend Jessie:
Josh stayed home and handed out candy until his friend party started at 8 pm over at some friend's house.  He was supposed to have his last night at the haunted maze, but they cancelled it since it was so cold.  Josh was excited that he could spend time with his friends instead of working so it worked out for everyone.  It was a really cold evening, too!  They really worked for that candy!!

Saturday morning I worked.  After work, however, we had scheduled to get some family pictures done.  I don't know what it is about getting pictures done, but it makes everyone argue with each other x10.  Aaron and I try not to even talk to each other more than what is absolutely necessary since we tend to argue a ton on picture day.  Josh knows this and sent me this funny meme while I was at work that morning:
Although I didn't swear like Samuel L. Jackson the rest of the meme is pretty spot on--haha!

It was a bit chilly, but we got it done without any tears.  Wahoo.  That is a win in my book.  Here we are walking back to the car.  

I was glad I could start talking to Aaron because at this point it didn't matter if we argued--we didn't have to pretend to be happy for pictures anymore--haha!  However, at that point we didn't have anything to argue about anymore since the pictures were over--haha!  Keeping my fingers crossed that the pictures turned out because I don't want to repeat that anytime soon.

Yesterday there was a Northern Utah STEM Expo for high school students to learn more about careers in the STEM fields.  The students were excused for the whole day to attend at the Davis County Conference Center.  Josh went and ran into his cousin Annika there which was pretty cool since they are in different school districts.
 Have I ever mentioned Josh can never pass by any photo ops?!
Anyway, Josh is trying to decide what he wants to be when he grows up so he got some more information so he can try and choose.

As for yesterday I was having a bit a difficult day.  My kids are going through things right now that are quite stressful not only for them, but for me as a parent.  Matthew also had a rough day at church, too.  I had to bring him home early and it was a huge struggle to get him out to the car from the chapel since he was fighting me every step of the way and he's a pretty strong kid (I am glad Aaron was there to help).  Anyway, most the time I am cool as a cucumber, but my facade crumbled a bit yesterday especially after I got Matthew and me home from church.  Wouldn't you know it-- that is right when my ministering sisters decided to drop by.  Eeeek!  I am not a pretty crier and even after I cry my face stays red and splotchy for a long time afterward, too.   I was a bit embarrassed about it, but what can you do?!  They were very understanding and concerned about me.  I reassured them that I would be okay, but I wasn't convincing since my voice kept cracking--ugh!  Anyway, I found this meme that totally explains my freak out yesterday--perfectly:
I should now be fine since I have had my freak out day--at least I hope so, anyway!!  I keep telling myself I've got this and most the time I do.  It's just occasionally I don't and that's okay--I just hope no one has to see me on those freak out days, though--haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment