"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Girl Dinner, Rilly, Baseball, Soccer, Idaho Falls,

I have been working quite a bit lately.  I have picked up some extra shifts in addition to what I was already working so I haven't been around a whole lot.  My poor kids, husband, house and yard have been neglected a bit as of late.  I feel guilty, but I only have two more weeks of work left and I will be done until I start back up again sometime around November.  The end is in sight!!  Anyway, Noah is a lovey kiddo and since I haven't been around to give him lubs, he has been hitting Aaron up.  Aaron is loving it.  He sent me this picture at work the other night.  I was a bit jealous.  I can't wait until I will be around more so I can be the one getting lubs!!
 Last Friday, KiLee, one of my best friends and roommate from college was in town for a visit.  We were able to go to dinner with another old roommate, Beth, and high school friend, Tiff.  It was a fun night of catching up.  Beth had to leave before we were able to get a picture, but here were the rest of us:
 We are only getting better with age, right?!

I keep thinking my kids have outgrown the destructive phase of childhood, but then I will get a nice reminder like this awesome name IN PEN on my tablecloth:
 Thanks, Noah!  I think someone needs to pull him aside and tell him if he is going to write something on my tablecloth he needs to write someone else's name to try and deflect the blame.  Finding out who did this destructive act wasn't too hard--haha!  Good thing I love him!

As I went to volunteer this week in his class, his teacher had had the kids all write me a sweet note telling me thank you for reading with them.  She put all the notes in a binder and had the class give it to me along with this beautiful Dahlia flower.  All the notes were so sweet!  I really do love volunteering to read with the younger kids!  Also how can I stay mad at this cute boy after getting something like that?!
 Noah even wrote me a note, too.  It says, "Dear Mrs. Mancil, I rilly (really), rilly, rilly, rilly, rilly....love you coming to read with us.  By Noah"
 I LOVED it!!

Daniel has started up baseball this past week.  It has been crazy since soccer is still going on as well.  Good thing the soccer season is winding down soon.  Daniel has the same baseball coach as last year which is good because we liked him.  Aaron even got voluntold he would be the assistant coach.  He didn't realize it until he showed up at the first practice and the coach told him he had signed him up to be assistant coach and hoped it was okay.  Good thing Aaron didn't care.  He was glad to be assistant coach again like he was last year.
Here's Daniel up to bat at practice:
 Yesterday was a busy day.  I worked that morning and had enough time to come home, check the kids out of school, change into nice clothes to leave again so we could drive the 2 1/2 hours up to the Idaho Falls Temple open house.  They had us park at a church close by and ride a tour bus in to the temple.  The kids were excited to ride the bus (Josh was trying his best GQ pose for the ladies--haha!):

 Before we walked through the temple we watched a movie about temples and the importance of them:
 The temple was interesting.  They kept a lot of the old artwork on the walls it seemed.  Since I hadn't seen the inside other than the baptistry which was about 20 years ago this is only a guess, but looking at the artwork it seemed like an older style if you know what I mean.  It was still beautiful to walk through and see everything.  We did get a picture on the outside of the temple since inside pictures weren't permitted.
 We also walked through the Visitor's Center where we looked at the the different displays they had.  The kids loved seeing Jesus:
 Daniel and I looked at some information on the computer together:
 It is a pretty temple.  They had so many tulips and daffodils in bloom, too!  I love spring!
 Last Saturday I had a cold and didn't feel very well.  Aaron was sweet enough to make dinner for the kids so I could just sit and feel sorry for myself because I didn't feel very well--haha!  He made ribs on his smoker and they turned out pretty tasty!  Here's the before they cooked picture:
 Here's the after:
 Aaron picked up three slabs of ribs and there were only a few ribs leftover since the kids ate them all up.  It was really nice not to have to worry about dinner for the kids!

Last Saturday Daniel had an all day camp for the 11 year old scouts.  He is really liking scouts which is nice.  Daniel and Josh also had an all morning merit badge class this morning, too.  Hopefully, they really are learning things--haha!  Sometimes I wonder...

Anyway, since Josh has been doing track to get him motivated to pass off different goals Aaron promises Josh different rewards.  This past goal he even got the other kids in on it so they would encourage Josh to try harder.  Josh hit the goal and so they were all promised a round of Fiiz drinks.  Since Daniel was at day camp, he did miss out on getting a drink, but what can you do?!  Aaron let me take a nap since I didn't feel well and took the rest of the kids out for their drink.  It was awesome and very much appreciated!  The kids loved getting 'Josh's reward' ;).



At work I work with different students from 4-5 different high schools.  The other day I was working with students from our home high school.  One of the students asked if I had kids that attended there.  I said I did and she asked what their name was.  As soon as I said Matthew she immediately knew who he was.  She said, "Oh he's the one that you can't talk about fire hydrants or driving directions around without him getting super excited."  Yep that would be Matthew--haha!  They had Spanish together.  She said she really loved him and thought he was sweet.  She also really liked the quesadillas he made for their class a few months ago.  What a crazy kid I have.  Good thing we love him!

 Josh had his last track meet Thursday.  He got another personal best on his mile time--wahoo!  He also ran the 800 meter as well.
 G&G M were able to come up for a quick visit and saw Josh's track meet and Daniel's baseball practice and soccer game as well.  I had to work, but the rest of them had a fun dinner out at Pizza Pie Cafe.
 We were excited to see them and have them visit for a few days.  I wasn't around for a lot of it because I had to work, but it was great to see them the little bit I did.
One of the dads of a kid on Daniel's soccer team promised them if they won he would get them all a Slurpee after the game.  I guess that was a pretty good incentive for them.  The team scored two goals (Daniel scored one and assisted with the other one) to win the game.  I bet 7-11 didn't know what hit them when their team walked in:
 Daniel had to pose with his Slurpee--the crazy kid!
I had a funny thing happen in our house last week.  I want to write about it so I don't forget.  Some backstory is sometimes when laundry gets put away different kids clothes accidentally get put in another kids closet.  It just happens when you're dealing with 5 kids laundry.  Anyway the other morning I heard Sarah tell Noah, "NOAH THOSE ARE MINE!!"  Daniel heard Sarah and came to weigh in on the situation.  I then heard Daniel say, "Noah those are Sarah's underwear!  You can't wear those!!"  Noah then just said, "Well they were white and in my closet so I thought they were mine."  I am just glad Sarah and Daniel caught that before Noah went to school like that.  Phew!! Noah went and changed out of Sarah's underwear and came over and told Sarah that he put the underwear that he had been wearing that morning back in her closet. I quickly saw Sarah's disgusted face and jumped in and told him to go and put them in the dirty clothes.  What a crazy kid!  I then had to talk to Noah and tell him that just because something is in your closet doesn't mean it is yours all the time.  I guess I will have to be more careful in putting laundry away--haha!

As for my cold I am feeling better, but have passed it on to my family where it is currently making the rounds.  Sorry about that, guys!  Hopefully a family that gets sick together stays together--maybe we can make that a new saying....My family is not happy with me...

1 comment:

  1. So cool that you got to go to the Temple Open House! That would be so cool.
    And THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! for coming down & going to dinner. It was so amazing to see you again. I miss your face! And just being around you. It was definitely a highlight from my trip & we will for sure have to do it more often! :)

    ReplyDelete