It has been an eventful week for sure! Last Sunday evening Matthew started getting a huge, blotchy, itchy rash all over his arms, ankles and waist. It continued to get worse and spread over Monday. Tuesday morning he looked pretty rough. Now these rash/welts were all about a dime in size all over his arms, legs and torso. I didn't know quite what they were. They looked like mosquito bites, but a bit different. Tuesday morning I got a text from his summer program coordinator asking what they were. Luckily, I had already made an appointment with the doctor for that afternoon to get them checked out. Crazy enough, they were hives from an allergic reaction to something he had most likely ingested. Luckily after a few days of Allegra, Zyrtec and hydrocortisone cream they went away. We have no idea what he was allergic to, but it was crazy. Daniel's hives have never looked like that so it didn't even occur to me to think they were hives. Who knows?! We are just hoping they don't come back. If they do we will probably have to do testing to see what he is having problems with. I guess it was just one of those crazy things.
Last week Josh started some scouting merit badge classes. Hopefully within the next three weeks he will be able to complete his Citizenship in the Community, Nation and World. Those are some of the harder and more time consuming ones to complete. His Citizenship in the Community classes were last week. To complete that one he has to go to a community council meeting and complete 8 hours of service. Luckily another scout in our ward had his Eagle project today that Josh was able to help with and get his service hours in, too. Wahoo! We will see what he has to do for the Citizenship in the Nation tomorrow...Fun times!
Last Monday I got a twofer done. Daniel had to get an allergy check up and to get his school paperwork filled out so he can have his Epi Pen, Rescue Inhaler and Allegra kept at the school for an emergency. At the same time Josh was able to get his allergy shots done as well. I love those twofer appointments! Killing two birds with one stone or just one visit to the allergist. Hopefully I got all the paperwork filled out. There are quite a few things to keep track of!
After the allergist visit I took Josh with me to the mall to pick up a few new school clothes. Unfortunately when we got back out to the Suburban to come home, it wouldn't start. DOH!! I am so sick of car problems I could scream. The crazy thing was Aaron's car was in the shop because his brake system was screwed up and needed to be fixed so he had the truck at work which is mostly dependable, but has its moments. Unfortunately, Aaron is extremely hard to get a hold of while he is at work. After calling him and not getting an answer I called Grandma T. She couldn't help me because she has a broken right leg so she can't drive and Grandpa T was at his mission at the LDS Employment center where Grandma didn't have the phone number. Luckily after a few minutes she was able to get a hold of Grandpa T and tell him that I was stranded. Luckily the employment center is right by the mall so he was able to swing by and pick Josh and me up. We took a look at the Suburban and it looked like it might either be the electrical system or the battery. DOH! The battery is only 2 1/2 years old so we didn't think it was the battery which was frustrating. After jump starting it I drove it home while Grandpa T followed me to make sure I wouldn't get stranded again. Luckily we made it home. Aaron came home shortly after since he had just gotten off work. They decided to try taking the battery and the alternator in to Autozone get checked out. Thankfully the battery failed their tests. I was so glad! The battery is a cheap fix versus another round with the electrical system that was supposedly fixed a few weeks ago. Even better news was when we found out the battery was still under warranty and FREE to exchange. We are hoping that was the fix and not some underlying other problem. I won't be driving too far away until we make sure. Being stranded stinks!! I was glad G&G T were around to help me out!! You're never too old to still need your parents for sure!! Also I must say that I am so glad it went out this week instead of the previous week while we were at Yellowstone with no cell service in the whole park. That would have been bad had it happened then! I am thankful for the little things!!
Last Wednesday was super busy for me. I have been job hunting for this fall. So far I have most likely landed three of them. I will be doing a flu shot clinic, being a CNA Clinical Instructor and substitute teaching to fill in the gaps. It will be best for me to keep busy this fall so I don't dwell on the fact that I don't have children at home during the day anymore. My income will also become our family travel fund so we are hoping to be able to visit some fun places soon! Anyway, I had some training to attend Wednesday morning for a couple hours for the substitute teaching job. That afternoon I had to go to Salt Lake to fill out paperwork for the Flu Shot Clinic job. I got home in enough time to eat a quick dinner with the family then head out again to go with the youth to do Baptisms for the Dead at Ogden Temple. I love that I was able to go with Josh. Matthew stayed back because he doesn't do very well waiting around for things and becomes disruptive. Aaron promised to take him later on so he could get a chance to do them, too. Josh was pretty excited to do some family names, too. I think that makes them a little more personalized when you can relate to the names your are getting baptized for. It was a great way to end the night!
Last Saturday Sarah tried out for a performance group in dance. We found out yesterday that she made one of the groups. Wahoo, Sarah! I am excited to see them this fall and spring!
Aaron talked Noah into letting him see how wiggly is front teeth were. Aaron worked fast and popped out one of his front teeth that was ready to come out. Noah was not happy about it especially once he saw his gums bleeding afterward. However, while he was crying I told a joke and he giggled. Here's the picture of him giggling while crying:
Good thing the Tooth Fairy came that night! It made losing a tooth almost worth it--haha!
Despite being a tooth short on top it is not stopping him from helping himself to our tomatoes. He loves them. He will take one and eat it like an apple:
Here's our first half bushel from our garden:
Wahoo! It was a bit fuller until Noah has helped himself to quite a few of them. I will be glad to replenish our stash of spaghetti sauce since we ran out earlier this year. I just have a hard time buying sauce from the store when I can make my own!! We have a ton of tomato plants this year so hopefully I can build up our depleted stash of salsa, spaghetti sauce and stewed tomatoes. Yum!! We also found a cucumber plant that we didn't know we had under all the tomatoes. We have been eating tons of cucumbers since then.
Saturday was Matthew's birthday. I can't believe he is getting so old!
He has been so excited for his birthday. He has been planning his own party--that I didn't know anything about--and inviting anyone and everyone. It has been kind of crazy. We met up with some friends, the Einzingers, at Lagoon Saturday morning and spent part of the day there. Afterward we came home and I really didn't feel like cooking lunch so we decided to get a quick lunch at Pizza Pie Cafe where we ran into the Einzingers again. It was fun to see them again until we walked out after lunch and saw our suburban had been vandalized!! Who would want to drive around with UTAH written on the back windshield?! Good thing I still had some window washer fluid left in my back windshield wipers--haha! Wow my car is dirty. I think I may need to get a car wash sooner than later--haha!
We came home and let Matthew open his presents. He got some more train stuff to add to his collection which he was excited about. He proudly wore his new Union Pacific shirt to summer program today.
His most favorite present was a new fancy leash for Sophie since he is mostly in charge of walking Sophie. Poor Sophie has been on so many walks to try out the new leash that she's pretty tired.
Sunday morning we went to the Einzinger's baby blessing for church. It was really fun to visit our old ward and see a few familiar faces! The blessing was wonderful. Afterward we had a yummy pancake buffet. Josh wasn't very happy when I limited him to only two pancakes. He felt pretty picked on, but I wanted everyone to get a chance to actually have something to eat. If I would have let Josh go to town I am pretty sure there would not have been any food left!!
Anyway, we got done in time for Aaron to come back to our ward for Priesthood the last hour of our church. He wanted to go since he was being released as Elder's Quorum President. We have had many blessings in our family with him serving in the EQ presidencey for the last 4 1/2 years (2 1/2 as president), but I am glad now that I will get to enjoy the blessing of having him home Sunday morning to help get the kids ready for Church ;). After that we had G&G T over for a birthday dinner for Matthew. Matthew chose spaghetti and meatballs with Alfredo and marinara sauce for his dinner. Afterward we had cheesecake with your choice of peach, blueberry or kiwi sauce as a topping.
I love cheesecake!! Matthew actually wanted an ice cream cake, but I made it too late and it had to have time to freeze up before we could eat it. Cheesecake was a good substitute! Here's Matthew blowing out his candles:
Over the weekend Josh had a two day camp out down at Strawberry Reservoir where they did a bunch of fishing especially for crawdads/crayfish. They actually caught quite a few:
They cooked all the crawdads up Friday night and had a feast. Josh went to town. He said he ate 30 of them. Good thing he doesn't have a shellfish allergy is all I can say--haha!
We have been experimenting with different foods. One of the yummiest things we have found has been bacon wrapped cream cheese/cheddar cheese stuffed roasted anaheim peppers. Good thing we planted a bunch of anaheim peppers this year. Daniel, Aaron, Josh and I really like these.I also found a recipe for a Cajun style foil dinner with shrimp, sausage, potatoes, onions and corn on the cob. Since none of my kids have really eaten shrimp before it was an experiment. It didn't go over too well for the kids. I think having to peel the shrimp before they could eat them kind of turned them off about it. They tried it, but didn't love it. Aaron and I really liked it, though.
Last Sunday I got a sweet thank you gift from two of my young women and their mom. It was a thank you for helping to plan and carrying out girl's camp.
I got a bath bomb (which I used that night), some candy and this sweet note:
That totally made my day!! I LOVED it!!
We did another experiment this year. We got the opportunity to buy a row of corn from the church farm. They planted, watered and fertilized it while we weeded it for the season. It has been fun to watch it grow. We went and checked it out the other night. Wahoo! We all love corn on the cob. If there is any leftover after our family eats the corn on the cob I will try to freeze some. I haven't frozen corn before so we will see how that will turn out. Here's Aaron checking it out with Daniel photobombing the picture:
Here are the kids walking down our row:
We finally were able to harvest most of our corn this afternoon. We didn't get as many as I thought we would, but it was still a fun experiment.
Don't you just love random pictures on your phone that you know nothing about? Thanks a lot, Josh!
No comments:
Post a Comment