"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day, Orthodontist, Surprise!



For whatever reason Blogger decided to add my pictures in a random order so this post won't necessarily be in order, but at least I will be caught up.  To start off for Mother's Day Aaron surprised me by getting Sarah ready for church.  Now when I say ready he got her dressed and even did her hair which is amazing.  This is the second time ever that he has done her hair and I think he did a pretty good job.  Here's the front:
Here's the back--he even used the Topsy Turvey flipped her ponytail over and then braided it as well as put in a pretty that matched her dress.  I was completely impressed!
Friday was national Train Day.  I found out by reading the newspaper--I had no idea that such a day even existed, but it does and we celebrated it by going to the Union Station Museums in Ogden on Saturday.  While we were there the kids got a chance to ride on two different trains which they loved.  Here's the one they rode on inside:
Here's the outside train:  Matthew was in HEAVEN!!!
 
While we were there we got a chance to see the inside of an old mail train car.  You can see all the mail slots and bags:
 Here's the hospital train car:
  Things did not look comfortable inside, but I guess they made it work.
 
They even had a Blacksmith there demonstrating different things.  It was really interesting to watch him work.
 
The kids were excited because he made the boys a some toy swords:
 And the girls (Sarah and me) got to share a leaf key chain:
 Friday night Susan, Aaron's sister, came up for a visit.  We had dinner together and let the kids play.  The kids had fun playing with their cousins.  We got them all together for a picture:
Saturday we had a Terry family get-together down at G&G T's house for Mother's Day.  We had a yummy hamburger and hot dog dinner and then all the cousins got to play together.  They all had fun--maybe a little too much fun.  Noah wanted to swing so I put him in the swing and Sarah took over the pushing part for me.  She pushed him for a little bit and then decided to start twisting the rope to make him spin.  After a few minutes Noah started screaming.  Usually I wait to see if things resolve themselves before I intervene, but Noah continued to scream.  I got up to let him out.  As soon as I raised the swing bar he proceeded to throw up EVERYWHERE!!!
The poor kid must have gotten a little too dizzy from spinning so much.  Thankfully we were outside so he got a quick squirt down by the hose which he HATED and then I took him in to give him a bath.  Poor boy!  We also had to wash his clothes because they were saturated with barf--YUCK!
Sunday morning I was awakened by a surprise Mother's Day breakfast of bacon, chocolate chip pancakes, scrambled eggs, toast and milk.  Of course everyone helped themselves to all the food, but it was a fun time and I have lots of crumbs in my sheets to prove it.  I guess I will be changing the bedsheets sooner than later, but it was worth it.
 Matthew had an appointment with the orthodontist Thursday morning where they took X-rays and mouth molds of his teeth.  I was worried how Matthew was going to handle all of it because you just never know with him.  However, he did great!  The hardest thing for him was not being able to talk while they were messing with his mouth.  He is such a chatter box!!  Here he is holding the mouth things so they can get some good pictures of his crazy teeth.
 It appears he will be getting a Herbst appliance in three weeks which will help with his overbite.  After that we have to get three baby teeth pulled and then we will start the braces.  I am nervous about how he will tolerate everything, but we are going to try it anyway.  Wish us luck--I think we all will need it!!

The other morning while Sarah was at preschool I started a DVD workout.  Noah grabbed his pillowpet and laid on the floor beside me.  As I was finishing the workout up I looked over to see that he had fallen asleep.  I then picked him up and got Bubba snuggles the rest of the morning until it was time to pick Sarah up.  I have to take advantage of these times because they don't happen as often as they used to :(.  He is getting so big, but I enjoyed every minute of our snuggle time!  It was worth not getting anything else done that morning!!
Now I LOVE Mother's Day, but my most favorite part of the holiday is the little things my kids make me.  That is my most favorite part!!  I took pictures of all the kids artwork because I think they are so sweet!  They all make me teary eyed, but I LOVE them!!  Here's what Sarah made for me:
 
It is a card with her hand print with flowers attached to it.  It says, "I love my mom because.. it's going to be Mother's Day and she helps me clean up."  She also planted some flowers for me as you can see in the flower pot next to the card:
The inside of the card she drew a picture of me when I was a little girl.  She then drew me and her standing together under the sun.
Josh made me a notepad and a card.  The notepad says, "Smiles, you are seriously fun and happy.  Lazy days are the very best days.  You have amazing beauty, friends.  I hope wish's and a big wonderful heart. 
 The card included says, You are pretty, nice and you have a virus for love."  The inside says, "I love you Mom.  Ps have a lovely day."  Josh was pretty pleased with it.

 Matthew brought home a note spelling out Mother.  M-magnificent, O-out of this world, T-typist, H-hilarious, E-epic, R-really funny.  He then signed it Matthew Aaron Mancil--I guess just in case I forgot his full name :).
 Daniel made me a book.
 The first page he drew a picture of me.
 Here's the next page:
 Next Page:
 Next page:
 Last page with key chain that says, "Mom, You hold the key to my heart!"
 The back cover:
 Here's Noah's gift from nursery:
It says I love you
 The inside says, "This is the hand you used to hold when I was 3 years old!"  This made me a little teary eyed.
I love these sweet gifts!!  It is my favorite part about Mother's Day.  I also got to hear the four oldest sing with the primary during sacrament meeting.  That was the last time Matthew will sing to me from primary.  That makes me a little sad, but I loved hearing them.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the gifts the kids make are the best! I love what your kids gave you, those are all so sweet! I'm glad it was a good Mother's Day for you!
    Also, good luck with Matthew & the orthodontist - I'm sure it will go better than you think! :)

    ReplyDelete