"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Halloween, Work Party, Senior Banquet, Sadie Hawkins, Activities, Working, Paint Night, Youth Council

I am quite a bit behind on the blog so here is a catch up with our family happenings.  Halloween was last month.  Every year G&G T make the kids Halloween goodie bags.  The kids love getting them.  Here they are with them this year:
Aaron’s work had a big Halloween family party.  We were able to tour Aaron’s top secret building, but we couldn’t have any phones or cameras with us so there are no pictures.  We were able to try out the flight simulators which was really amazing.  I wasn’t a terrible pilot, but it sure did get me motion sick.  I was done with the flight simulator after about 15 minutes.  Everyone else had a turn as well.  Sarah, Matthew, Katie(Daniel’s girlfriend) and Daniel ended up crashing their planes.  Good thing they aren’t planning on becoming pilots--haha!  After touring the building they had a bunch of fun booths set up outside.  They had a photo booth where we all got to dress up and take silly pictures.  Here are a few of the silly pictures we got:


I was so excited to have my Halloween buddy back this year.  No one else in the family likes going to haunted houses except Josh.  Now that Josh is back from his mission we got to go to the Nightmare on 13th haunted house down in Salt Lake.  It was great!



It was chilly, but fun to have my buddy back!

The next morning I had an early morning clinic up in Park City.  It was cold.  Right as I was parking the car this is what the temperature read:  
Unfortunately, I didn’t bring my coat with me.  Luckily, it warmed up in to the 40s by the time I left 5 hours later.

I had another clinic later that week.  It was snowing on my way to work.  I am not ready for the snow, yet!!  It does make for some pretty mountain snow pictures, though.  I took this picture while I was waiting at a red light.
We didn’t go anywhere for Fall Break.  Everyone’s schedules were all over the place so we only had a few hours one day to do something together.  We decided to do a soda taste test.  We picked up a name brand flavor and it’s generic equivalent.  Then we did a blind taste test.  The name brand won almost every round except for the rootbeer round.  It was fun.
Halloween was interesting this year.  All the kids had different places to be.  We did pick up Matthew and let him go around our neighborhood to trick or treat to people that know him.  He just loves trick or treating even though he is 22 years old.  Luckily our neighbors are pretty awesome.  After Matthew trick or treated around the neighborhood he came back home and helped hand out candy for another hour before he wanted to go back to his group home.  Then that just left Aaron and I alone with no kids around.  That was weird!!  The kids had a lot of fun at their different parties, though.  Sarah was Dr. Doofensmirtz from Phineaus and Ferb, Sophie was a bucking bronco with a cowboy riding on her back (she absolutely HATED wearing it the whole night), Matthew was a ghoul, Josh a pickle, Noah was a penguin and Daniel and Katie was a costume couple from a show I didn’t know.  It was a fun night.
Right before trick or treating started, though, one of Noah’s friends decided to try a rim dunk on our outside basketball hoop.  Unfortunately, right as he grabbed the rim the whole thing tipped over and crumpled to the ground.  For whatever reason it had rusted in the middle and cracked in half.  I am just glad no one got hurt. However, we didn’t have time to dig it out of the ground right then (it is cemented in) so we had to cover it with a blanket so no one would get caught or cut by it while they were trick or treating.  The following Saturday Daniel and Aaron dug it out and now we need to make a run to the dump to take care of it.  Fun times--haha!

Noah got lots of candy this year!!




Daniel had his Cross Country end of season banquet.  Parents were invited and Daniel let us know about it this year--haha!  They recognized all the graduating seniors.  They read a bio on each one and gave them a goodie bag with a personalized t-shirt and their favorite snacks.  Here’s all the seniors:
Here they all are as they were reading each of their bios:
Here’s Daniel’s bio:
It was the Sadie Hawkins dance a few weeks ago.  It was western themed.  Daniel and Katie did their day date a few days before since they weren’t able to do it the night before.  Here’s what Daniel looked like before he left for the dance:
Sarah was reluctant to ask anyone.  Sadie’s was a girl’s choice dance. Her friend asked someone and wanted Sarah to ask someone so they could be in the same group.  It took some convincing, but she did ask someone.  Here she is on her way to start her day date.  They went bowling.
Here’s some pictures Daniel took while they were getting their group pictures done:




Sarah’s friend’s mom is a photographer so she did their pictures for them.  They turned out great!  Here’s what she looked like:
Her group:

Her date:

Matthew LOVES cooking and is always finding and trying out new recipes.  His house manager likes to send us pictures of the different things he makes.  He made an Instant pot corn chowder this time:
Some other yummy things he has done:
Matthew has been saving his money for a fun activity.  He chose to ride the Heber Valley Railroad on their Halloween train.  Then he chose to go out for dinner at Dairy Keen.  He LOVED it.  His house manager took him and they had a great time.  Here are some of the pictures she shared with us: 
Matthew’s Special Olympics Bocce Ball state tournament ended, but they weren’t able to stay for the awards.  Chrysalis has an end of season awards banquet where Matthew was able to get his state silver medal for Bocce ball.  He loved it:
A few weeks ago it was time for Matthew to have his regular 6 month check up with his psychiatrist and to do some medication management.  He always expects to grab some dinner after his doctor’s visit.  How can I tell him no?!  Here we are waiting to get dinner from Wendy’s.  We like to keep it classy--haha!
I had a friend reach out to me last month and ask me to teach a painting class for her Young Women.  I love doing those so I was more than happy to accept.  Here’s the picture we all painted:
It was a fun night.  

Josh has been staying busy.  He was able to meet up with a bunch of old missionaries a few weeks ago.  He had a fun night catching up with them.
His YSA ward did a corn maze activity he was able to participate it.  Josh’s work schedule is busy enough that he isn’t able to attend very many YSA activities so he was excited to attend this one.
Josh met up with his mission trainer and they hung out in downtown Salt Lake for an afternoon.  They had fun catching up.
Sarah and Daniel got sworn in as city youth leaders at the city council meeting last night.  Here’s all of the youth council members:
They even recognized one of the past adult youth city leaders for her service.  Daniel, who is the youth mayor, got to give a little speech and present her with some beautiful flowers.
Speaking of Daniel he got to visit me at work to get his second round of vaccinations from me.  He HATES shots so the fact that I didn’t have to hogtie him to get him in to see me was amazing--haha!  Now he has to wait 4 weeks to get his blood drawn to make sure he has an immunity.  

My life has been pretty busy.  I have been working so much lately it has been crazy.  Things should be slowing down soon which I am looking forward to.  In addition to working other things have crept up as well.  We had a funeral in our ward this past week that I was able to help with.  Funerals are so hard and sad.  I am thankful for the Plan of Salvation and am so glad that this life is not the end.  Afterward the family didn’t want any of the flowers to go to waste so they dropped them off at different people’s houses so they could enjoy them.  They are beautiful and I am thankful we have been able to have them.
This past Sunday Sarah got to teach the lesson in Young Women and I got to teach the lesson in Relief Society.  That was stressful, but it seemed to go okay.

Josh got to speak in his Young Single Adult Ward a few weeks ago. I wanted to hear him speak so I was going to meet him there.  When I got there I walked in to the chapel, but didn’t see Josh anywhere.  I wanted to make sure I was in the right spot so I wandered over and asked the usher if it was the single adult ward.  He looked me in the eye and said, “This is the YOUNG single adult ward”.  Ouch.  That was a less than pleasant reminder that I am not even close to being in my 20s anymore--haha!  I was in the right place.  Josh had forgotten his talk and had to run home to pick it up so he ended up being a few minutes late, but made it in time to speak.  He did great--my ego is not doing as great though--haha!

I am happy to report our dishwasher is fixed and working great.  I am so excited since we have been fighting with it for the past 5 months.  It is nice to have a functional dishwasher that washes the dishes every time without throwing an error code.  It is the little things!!  

Matthew played a musical number in church on Sunday.  He did great.  You always wonder what you are going to get because he will yell and run all the way up to the piano.  However, once he sits down he is so reverent and plays beautifully, but when his piece is done he jumps up and runs all the way back to where we are sitting yelling road signs and exit numbers.  He keeps things lively that’s for sure!!

It is cold enough that it was time to pull out the garden.  Aaron enlisted some help from the boys and got it done the other day while I was at work.  I have started my other CNA instructing job.  I was hoping to have Daniel’s girlfriend come through one of my classes, but the odds weren’t in our favor.  However, she I liking her CNA clinicals so far. 

Last week was Veteran’s Day.  Aaron got the day off so we had a day date.  It was just fun to spend time together without our conversation getting interrupted every 5 seconds when there are kids around--haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment