After four hours it was time to come back home. Josh was sad to say goodbye, but they are all on each other’s email lists so they will keep in touch.
When we got home that evening we spent some time together as a family. During Josh’s Home MTC in his free time we have been playing some family games (our favorite was Five Crowns), watching different church movies/video clips and safety videos, going grocery shopping and going on walks. That evening we played some games while we washed all of Josh’s clothes preparing to pack them the next day. The next day was Sunday. We went to church. Afterward Josh and I started packing his bags. He had collected everything the week before to make sure he had everything he needed. We picked up the things he was missing throughout the week--Thank goodness for same day delivery from Amazon!! Anyway, we put everything inside the suitcases and thankfully, it fit and was all underweight. Then we had our last Sunday dinner and invited G&G T to join us. After dinner and visiting for awhile it was time for Josh to say goodbye to G&G T for two years.
Then it was time to take Matthew back to his group home. His very first day of school was the next day and he didn’t want to miss it so he said goodbye to Josh that evening.
We checked and rechecked everything on the papers we had.
Then it was time for bed since we had a very early morning. Josh’s flight was at 8:20 am. They told him to get to the airport two hours before his flight which meant 6:20am. That meant we had to wake up at 4:45 am to get ready for the day since we would be dropping off Sarah, Noah and Daniel at school when we came back from the airport. Then it came time to leave the house at 5:20am. Josh said goodbye to Sophie:
Made the drive to the airport and parked. They have totally redone the Salt Lake Airport so it took a bit to figure out where to park so we could walk inside.
All the new incoming missionaries to the Chicago, Illinois mission:
We got an email from the Mission President that evening saying the new missionaries made it. Then we just had to sit tight and hope for the best since the missionaries aren’t supposed to contact their families until the next P-day. It was radio silent......
Aaron took the rest of the day off. We drove back after dropping Josh off and then we dropped off all the kids at school. Aaron and I grabbed some breakfast and just bummed around the rest of the day. I was sad. It was bittersweet. I am so grateful Josh chose to serve a mission, but we will really miss him.
Since Josh is not supposed to contact us outside of P-days we have no idea what is going on from day to day. So it is a bit exciting when we can see little updates even if they are from his Facebook. Later that evening Josh posted that he moved to Chicago on Facebook:
The rest of that Monday was hard, but life goes on. The next day was a bit easier. It helped that I had a ton of tomatoes from our garden that I needed to do something with before they went bad. I spent the rest of the day making and bottling spaghetti sauce:
The next day I was very pleasantly surprised to find this sign in our front yard when I got home from running some errands:
Sarah and Noah started up early morning piano lessons again. We had to find a different teacher since our old one stopped teaching lessons. It has taken me over a year to find one, but they are both excited to start lessons back up again even if it means they have to practice every day.
Matthew had his first day of school. He has been looking forward to school starting ever since it stopped for summer. He loves school and was excited to go back. He knows that we have a huge cooked breakfast the morning of the first day of school at our house. He asked me to cook him breakfast for his first day of school. I cooked up a big breakfast for him Sunday afternoon and sent it in a Tupperware for him to heat up and make breakfast burritos the next morning. He loved his breakfast and had a great day at school. They are opening more job sites up so he is excited to get back to trying out different job experiences again since they were all closed down last year due to Covid.
Last Wednesday Daniel and Sarah got to help volunteer for a community Illumination event. It was a community mental health focus/program. They had different classes throughout the week and ended with a huge community celebration Wednesday evening. Sarah volunteered with the Jr. High National Honor Society club. Daniel volunteered with the city Youth Council. They both helped run different booths during the celebration. Then later that night they did a big fireworks show. It was a good experience and they were glad they were able to help out.
Flu season is right around the corner if you can believe it! We had our flu orientation at work which is for all the returning and first time seasonal staff at CNS last week. They provided a catered dinner and then talked about all things flu for a few hours. Even though I am a year round Core staff member they still have the core staff members attend flu orientation every year as well. I don’t mind. It is fun to see returning flu crew members that I haven’t seen since flu season ended last year. I have my first flu shot shift Thursday. I still can’t believe it is that time of year again!!
Friday Sarah got to go to her first Jr. High dance after school. She was excited to go with her friends. However, when she got home after the dance she said she was not impressed. I just had to chuckle and wonder if she will go to the next Jr. High dance. Aaron was surprised that there was a Jr. High dance and that Sarah was old enough to go to it. He still sees her as a 1st grader--haha! That evening Aaron and I went to the Highschool football game. Daniel was playing in the band for the game that night and we wanted to see him play. This is the first time they have had a band play at the football game so it was new for everyone. Here he is on the back row in the gray and blue sweatshirt:
He is playing the baritone saxophone:This past week Daniel reapplied to be on the city Youth Council again. To reapply you have to fill out an application and submit it with a current picture and a letter or recommendation. Daniel asked our bishop to give him a letter of recommendation and this is what he wrote which was really nice:
We were gifted another 3 bushel of peaches from our friends. I love peaches and am grateful for them. With this round we did some more jam, jars of half peaches, I tried making some peach juice and then some fruit leather. Here’s the fruit leather:
Peach halves, peach jam and peach juice on the right:With the leftover white peaches I pealed, pitted, halved and froze them. Here they are in the freezer:
Needless to say we are SET for peaches--haha! The kids have already eaten two bottles so I guess that is good they like them, too.
Daniel has discovered a LOVE of grilled cheese sandwiches. He has made so many this past week. He even made some for breakfast yesterday and today. I can’t say as I blame him---grilled cheese sandwiches are yummy! Here’s his breakfast this morning:
Noah is still doing soccer and loving it. Noah is a busy guy. He doesn’t hold still very often, but the other evening he fell asleep on Aaron while watching TV and Aaron LOVED it!!
Our guide shined a black light on the walls of the cave and you could see where the water seeps in from the outside:
You could even see the bioluminescent bacteria on the top/roof of the cave:
We did all have to wear a mask, but that isn’t that big of a deal:
We even got to see a few bats flying around inside. Aaron was NOT happy about that (he HATES bats), but I thought it was pretty cool.








I still remember when my little boy left for his mission. Wasn't easy. I am proud of you guys getting it done. No cell phones then. Love you all.
ReplyDeleteI would say definitely don't google the cities Josh serves in after reading that first one!! And I can't believe you have a missionary!! In my mind, we just barely graduated Ricks! Your kids are amazing & you are doing such an incredible job - way to go Beccahead!!
ReplyDelete