"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Temple Visit, Girl’s Weekend, Les Miserables, Track Meets, Dishwasher, Braces, NJHS, Prom #1

What a crazy two weeks it has been!  Here’s a few of the highlights!  For Christmas last year Aaron got me three Hale Center Theater tickets for one of my favorite shows, Les Miserables.  I really love this show.  I have been lucky enough to see it on Broadway in New York, in the West End in London, in Salt Lake with a traveling Broadway cast, and a few other times.  I was excited to get the chance to see it again.  Aaron has seen it a few times with me, but wanted the kids to have a chance to see it as well.  He gave up his ticket so Sarah and Josh could come along with me to see it.  We stopped beforehand for a quick Cafe Rio dinner and then headed to the show.  We had to wear a mask the whole time, but it was worth it.  The cast did a wonderful job.  I love to see how different casts perform it and compare.  I had some awesome theater companions, too!!
Daniel had his last track meet this past Wednesday.  He was pretty excited before his 800 meter race.
He didn’t run over anyone with his spikes this time, so that’s a good thing--haha!  He did great and is looking forward to participating on the high school cross country team in the summer.

Speaking of Daniel, he has a September birthday which means he needs to sign up for summer Driver’s Ed.  Aaron had gone to sophomore orientation with Daniel a few months ago and told me that if we wanted Daniel to take Summer Driver’s Education we had to be in line at the high school at least by 6 am so we could get a spot when they opened up in person registration at 7 am.  I didn’t think we would have to be there by 6 am so I putzed around until Aaron got really irritated at me telling me we needed to get there NOW!!  I rounded up Daniel and we headed over to the high school.  I didn’t think there would be anyone there.  I was terribly WRONG.  DOH!! When Daniel and I walked in the doors at 6:15 am there was already a huge line. DOUBLE DOH!!  There were only 40 spots available for this class.  I must give Aaron credit because when I texted him the size of the line he never said, “I TOLD YOU SO!!!”  

We waited for over an hour and the line finally started moving when they opened up the office.  I was sweating bullets because if he didn’t get in this class he would have to take a private class which is A LOT of money!!  Thankfully, we were number 37 out of a possible 40 people to sign up.  I gave a huge sigh of relief.  However, that didn’t last long because Daniel needs to have at least 10 hours of driving time before the class starts NEXT MONTH!!  DOH!!  I guess we better get to letting Daniel drive, however, that terrifies me!!  Wish us luck--haha!  When we did sign up the school secretary recognized me as Matthew’s mom.  She told me her and another secretary went to visit Matthew 6 weeks ago at his group home.  That made me happy.  I am so thankful for all those that go out of their way for Matthew.  I am sure he LOVED it!!  His high school teacher Mrs. Rasmussen also stopped by to visit him two Saturdays ago.  Matthew was beyond ecstatic!!  He loves having visitors!!

I am excited to say we FINALLY got our new dishwasher.  We have been without a working dishwasher since mid JANUARY.  It has been a long four months to say the least.  There was a major slowdown in manufacturing due to covid so all appliances take awhile to come into stock.  We placed the order for this dishwasher back in March, but if finally came almost 8 weeks later.  Aaron wanted to install it with Daniel for a project to do together.  They got started and did a great job!

Sophie even helped (or hindered).  Every time anyone laid on the floor to screw something in, Sophie was right there ready to surprise and attack them with lots of licks--haha!

Yay for working dishwashers!!  This is the 3rd dishwasher we have had in the 9 years we have lived here.  I don’t know if we are getting lemons or if we really overwork the dishwashers we get.  Probably the latter if I were to guess since we run it at least twice a day--haha!

The kids like taking pictures of Sophie.  Here’s one Josh took last week:
Sophie tends to be a velcro dog and wants to be with you every minute of every day.  Daniel was working out in the front yard, but Sophie was in the back yard.  However, she just stared and whined at Daniel the whole time from under the fence because she wanted to be with him--haha!
Noah got his braces on this morning.  Here’s the before:

In front of the sign for Braces on at the orthodontist’s office:

Here’s my newest brace face: 
Sarah has done well this year in 7th grade and has kept her grades up.  She was invited to participate in the National Junior Honor’s Society for next year.  They had their induction ceremony last week.  Here’s my cute girl walking across the stage getting her certificate:
She has a great group of friends who love spending time together.  There is Gabby, Grace, and Laurie, but Laurie left before they were able to get their pictures together.  Here’s just the picture of Gabby, Sarah and Grace:
Sarah also got set apart as the second counselor in the 12 year old class presidency in Young Women this past Sunday.  She was excited to share some activity ideas.  Wahoo!!  She also tried out and made Jazz Band this past week.  She is excited to participate in that for next year, too.

I am still working quite a bit.  I have met all kinds of different patients at the different clinics.  I can say that I am glad for Google Translate.  There have been quite a few patients who are non English speakers that have come through.  It is so awesome to use Google translate to communicate with them.  I also have been able to use the Speech to Text function since I have even had three different deaf patients come through as well.  It keeps things interesting to say the least!!

This past week for our Young Women/Young Men combined activity we were able to take a virtual tour of Sharon, Vermont which is the birthplace of Joseph Smith.  It was wonderfully done and interesting to listen to.  One interesting side note is that the missionary couple that did the tour was actually from Clinton, Utah, too!!  How crazy is that?!  Here they are:

This past week we were fortunate enough to land an appointment at the Ogden temple baptistry.  Sarah never got a chance to go before Covid shut everything down so she was excited to attend.  
We did pull the kids out of school that morning, but I feel like it was worth it.  We got there about 8 am.
Daniel had a chance to do his first baptism and Josh got to practice, too.  It was a great experience!!
Today is National Nurses Day--Wahoo!!  Swig was giving out free drink/or cookie to nurses so I had to get in on that freebie!!  Yum!!  They even gave out a cute Swig heart sticker with a stethoscope on it:
Josh had a track meet two weeks ago up in Ogden.  I was able to watch him run his two mile race.  Here he is at the beginning on the right hand side:

Josh was out of gas at the end of the race and laid down for a few minutes:
Right after the race we came home so Josh could get ready to go to his friend Prom.  Here’s a few pictures of his group and date:
They did the day date the day before and went Paintballing for their activity:

Josh’s pants had fallen off the hanger in his closet, but he didn’t realize this until he actually to wear them.  Wrinkled pants never hurt anyone, right?!--haha!

The high school decided to allow one official school dance this year.  That meant Josh was going to go to yet another Prom.  He asked his date (a different girl from the last first Prom) a few weeks ago and got his answer back:

However, it was quite hilarious.  Josh had homework that needed to be done.  The rest of us were in the family room watching a show together.  If you know Josh you know that if there is a TV/ or screen on anywhere by him he can’t tear himself away.  That meant he had to go into the front room away from the show we were watching to get anything done.  While he was in the front room doing his homework, his date came to answer him back for Prom.  Josh was ‘in the zone’ and not paying attention to anything, but his homework.  She saw him sitting in the front room sitting on the couch doing his homework and decided to scare him instead.  She came up to the front window and banged the sign against it.  Here’s the video from our RING doorbell.  You can hear Josh screaming because it totally caught him off guard--haha!  It was pretty funny!
Last week was Women’s Conference.  Unfortunately, it was virtual so everything would be online instead of in person.  I was a bit bummed, but what can you do?!  However, my friend Erin, invited me to do a Girl’s weekend centered around Women’s Conference.  I was more than happy to go along with that!!  We rented a hotel room down by Thanksgiving Point in Lehi for two nights.  We left Thursday morning after I got done at the temple.  On the way down we stopped by and got a pedicure.  Here’s my pretty toes:
We checked in Thursday afternoon and watched a few classes/sessions.  We then went over to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point. It was so pretty!!  There were so many different varieties and colors everywhere.  Here’s a few of the pretty things we saw:
We then went back to the hotel room and watched a few more classes/sessions.  The next morning we got up and watched a few sessions/classes.  We then went and did some axe throwing.
The place we went to had more than axes to throw which was fun.  Here’s our array of weapons we got to try throwing.  The one that was the most fun was the four point Chinese Star.  
We then watched a few sessions/classes and finished out the day.  Saturday we got up and watched a session.  Then we grabbed some lunch and did some shopping.  To end our Girl’s Weekend we stopped by the Butterfly Biosphere at Thanksgiving Point.  It was so cool!  They had all kinds of varieties of butterflies.  You could hold them, watch them, learn about them.  It was really neat!!  Here’s a few of the butterflies we got to see/hold:
The middle picture was of all the different Chrysalis’/cocoons getting ready to hatch if that’s the right word?
It was an amazing weekend and a much needed break.  It was fun to hang out with a good friend and talk about all things family, kids, crazy things, etc.  as well as get spiritually fed by listening to Women’s Conference, too.  Here were some of my favorite quotes of the sessions we listened to:




Josh finally showed us his city basketball pictures:

Josh also got to participate in the Utah ‘Adopt a Senior’ group on Facebook.  Since the high school seniors got kind of a bum deal on their last school year, some moms got together and decided to do an ‘Adopt a Senior’ group to help make it a bit more exciting to graduate.  I put up Josh’s profile and then whoever wants to can ‘adopt’ him.  Here’s the profile I wrote about him and a few pictures:


The family that ‘adopted’ him dropped off their goodie basket Saturday.  He got some fun things like a gift card to Zeppe’s, a dozen fancy donuts, some crazy socks, a graduation balloon, some jelly beans, etc.  He was pretty excited!!

We also got Josh’s senior pictures taken a few weeks ago.  Here’s how they turned out:






1 comment:

  1. Josh looks amazingly like Matthew. Both good looking. It's startling to see how Noah has grown. As far as Daniel driving,driving with your kids is a scary thing that every parent must go through. We know he will do well.

    ReplyDelete