We have had a pretty crazy week to say the least. I say to myself it is weeks like this that really make me appreciate the boring times--haha! Anyway, here's a few of the highlights:
Daniel had a very exciting appointment at the orthodontist's office this week--he got his braces taken off--WAHOO! He was so excited. Here's Mr. Metalmouth before we walked into the office:
He couldn't stop smiling! The office makes a big deal for anyone getting braces on or off. Daniel was excited to see his name in the 'Braces Off' column!After 90 minutes here's Mr. Braceface without the braces:
I LOVE the smile! His front teeth were chipped a bit from an unfortunate argument and flying remote from his brother a few years ago, but that is another story....anyway the orthodontist was able to build them back up with some composite and his front teeth now look perfect! It makes being in braces for 3+ years worth it! The office also sends the patient home with a goody bag of stuff they couldn't eat while wearing braces like caramel, gum, chewy/sticky candy, etc.
Daniel wanted to keep getting his braces off a surprise so he didn't tell anyone and wanted to see who noticed. Unfortunately, not very many people noticed the missing braces, but we all did at home. Despite not very many people noticing he is still happy to have them off! I can excitedly say that no one in our house has braces on at the moment and it is awesome!!
Noah tried to makes things more exciting this week. He decided to try and flush a sharpie marker, a broken pen, some candy plus extra wrappers, a tooth brush along with normal toilet items (loads toilet paper and other bodily stuff which I won't mention to try and stay polite) down the toilet. They didn't go down like Noah expected them to which meant we had a hugely clogged toilet. After trying to plunge it without success for 5 minutes I got to run to Lowe's to pick up an auger to try and clear the clog. Thankfully, we were finally able to get it cleared and Noah is on the naughty list for sure. I thought we were past this stage of childhood!! I think Noah learned his lesson or at least I hope he did. If not I will make him clear the clog next time!!! Gross!
We are still waiting for Josh's corneal ulcer to improve which means we have had daily visits to the ophthalmologist up in Ogden. The attendance office at the high school is really getting to know me since I have checked him out of school every day last week, unfortunately! Anyway, Josh's ulcer is right in the middle of his field of vision so it makes it that much more serious. It is improving a tiny bit at a time, but the ophthalmologist is waiting for a huge improvement which hasn't happened yet. He was able to cut down on the antibiotic eye drops from every hour to every two hours Thursday so that was nice, however, it is still quite time intensive and turns me into quite a nag, unfortunately. I am nagging Josh because I love him, but I think we are both tired of hearing me ask him about his eye drop administration, level, adherence, etc. UGH!! Up until Thursday he had to do the hourly drops around the clock, too. That meant a few nights sleeping on the couch waking up to administer them throughout the night every hour which was torture. That wasn't much fun so we were glad when Thursday the doctor said he only needed to wake up once or twice in the night to put them in instead of every hour. I almost cried when I heard that because I was so exhausted and the thought of 3 uninterrupted hours of sleep sounded heavenly! It's the little things that really get me--haha! Anyway, here's what his ophthalmologist visit entails:
A bright light to his eye to determine the ulcer depth, size and status. Josh has some light sensitivity in that eye so he really hates this part!
With a $40 copay each ophthalmologist visit we are truly hoping this clears up ASAP. I feel a bit like we are hemorrhaging money between the eye issues, Aaron's shoulder surgery, Sarah's root canals, some upcoming Wisdom teeth removals, and the start of physical therapy for Aaron's shoulder, etc (let's just say 2019 hasn't started off as a good year so far--haha!) However, I am willing to pay whatever it takes for Josh's eye if it means we can preserve his vision. However it still doesn't make it easier to fork over the $40 copay every day for the ophthalmology visit not including the prescription eye drops. In looking on the bright side, however, I am grateful for good insurance and access to good doctors so we can hopefully get this taken care of without a cornea transplant!
Enough whining about crazy medical issues...we did have some other fun excitement Thursday. Aaron had his post op follow up. We left to get there early only to find out we had gotten the wrong office--DOH!! The surgeon has an office in Ogden and one in Layton. We went to the Ogden one only to be told we were in the wrong office. Despite us being to the Ogden office early, we had to then leave to go to the Layton office and ended up being incredibly late. Thankfully, they still squoze us in. Aaron got the stitches out of his shoulder and had them replaced with some steri strips. He then was informed he could start physical therapy to get his range of motion back in his shoulder. He even gave Aaron the approval to take his sling off as he tolerated it. We found a physical therapist that is only 1/2 mile from our house so they were able to fit Aaron in the next morning. After an hour at physical therapy Aaron was a bit sore, but decided to go to work for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, driving to work we got rear ended--BOO!! Jeez, lately it seems if it weren't for bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all. In trying to stay positive it is times like this that make us truly appreciate the boring, healthy times!! Anyway, thankfully the guy has car insurance and was more than apologetic about the accident. He didn't leave the scene of the accident, but even if he had he wouldn't have gotten very far since we have his license plate number imprinted on our bumper as well as his hitch that was on the front of his huge truck--haha! It only did minor damage to the Camry's bumper so it shouldn't be too bad of a repair--It's just a matter of getting all the boxes checked to get it fixed. Aaron was on the phone with the insurance for 30 minutes this morning trying to get it resolved. Hopefully we can move forward with the repairs soon. As for our other car, the Impala, we had gotten for the kids car it has needed a few repairs. We used a mechanic who is a friend of a friend who does repairs on the side to fix the car. That means he has a regular 9-5 job an only works on cars in the evenings and on weekends. The mechanic got everything done Thursday afternoon and we went to pick up the car. As we were driving home the check engine light went on DOH!! We took it back to the mechanic and he fiddled with it, and then took it out for a drive to make sure it was okay, but the check engine light went on again. He had to look at the car more in-depth and the next day figured out when he had put everything back together he had pinched a wire which was what was turning the check engine light on. Unfortunately he has to take everything back apart to fix it. Poor guy! Thankfully he knew right what it was and is willing to fix it. I am sure he is so done messing with that car! Hopefully, we will get it back soon all repaired with no check engine lights on!!
We did have some fun on Saturday at Sarah's dance pictures. There is a really cool indoor photography studio where the girls get their pictures done. I took my own picture of my beautiful girl in one of her dance costumes:
We did have a small wardrobe malfunction, though. I went to straighten her head band and ripped off one of the flowers accidentally. Whoops!! We had to readjust the headband so it wasn't so lopsided since it was down a flower. Sarah wouldn't let me adjust anything on her after that and I don't blame her--haha! She is looking so old! It makes me a bit sad she is growing up so fast! She did do some fun pictures with her friend while we were waiting for the group pictures to be taken:
Love the crazy faces:
Speaking of pictures as I was going through my phone I found some real doozies. Don't you just love it when the kids get a hold of your phone and take crazy pictures for you to find later? Here's some of the gems they left for me:
Don't even ask what is going on here because I have no idea, either!
Matthew got asked to go to Preference and the dance was this past Saturday. He was SO EXCITED! He got ready pretty early and just waited and watched by the front window until she came to pick him up. Here's my handsome boy:
He made sure he was wearing his Cougar socks--haha!
All the kids were excited when she came to pick Matthew up. We watched as she pinned his boutonnière on. She was so sweet to work with. She had been texting me the few weeks leading up to this point asking questions and letting me know their itinerary. She even made the flowers (boutonnière and corsage) herself.
She has known Matthew ever since she had been a peer tutor for him back in Jr. High and has been his good friend since.
Their group went and took pictures at Union Station. I am sure Matthew was beyond excited to be around all the trains. I was glad to see that he was able to calm down enough to take some pictures with his date:
Here's all the guys in their group:
Here's everyone in their group:
Matthew photobombed the girls' shot. He had to be in the picture with (as he puts it), "All his cute girls!":
He had a fun night. They went and got dinner at Olive Garden after taking the pictures and then went to the dance. Afterward they did some group activities. She ended up dropping him off around 11:30 pm. Matthew isn't much of a night owl, but his date's mom said she wasn't a night owl either so it must have been a good match--haha! When his date dropped him off Matthew made her come to the door to tell me all about their date. It was a bit awkward, but very sweet. She seemed to have a good time. I was really grateful for her to give Matthew such a fun night and that she wants to be his friend. He has had such a good experience at Syracuse High School!
Speaking of high school Matthew had his IEP meeting this morning. This is at least an annual meeting between the Special Education teacher, regular education teacher, an administrator which ended up being the Vice Principal, the Speech teacher, and Vocational Rehab. I have always HATED these meetings just because they have to compare the student to their peers in order to see what things they need to work on to form an educational plan. In the past it is depressing to hear how different Matthew is from his peers. I understand why it needs to be done that way, but it doesn't make it easier to hear. This will most likely be Matthew's last IEP meeting at this school since he will be 'graduating' and moving on to a post high school where he will be until he ages out at 22 years old. In getting started we went through all the typical areas of concern to form educational goals and plans. At the end of the meeting his teacher turned to us and then got emotional. She said that she has never met anyone like Matthew before and will miss him so much. She has never seen anyone so loving, helpful and happy who just loves being around people. She said that she will never forget him and said she loves him so much that she wants to move to his next school with him. She won't, but she made it clear that Matthew has definitely made an impression on her and has a piece of her heart. She said he is such a special person that everyone loves him not because they feel sorry for him, but that they truly love him and enjoy him as a person. She said that Matthew makes people feel important when he gets so excited to see everyone he knows. She started crying which in turn made Aaron and I start getting verklempt. We are very sad to leave such a wonderful, supportive environment for him. The Vocational Rehab guy did say that with the observations he made about Matthew during the meeting that Matthew will find the same love and support at the Vista Campus which is the school he will be moving to next. I hope that is true. After leaving that meeting I have been crying a bit off and on throughout the morning. I am crying because I am so grateful for the experiences he has had at this school and for all the people that truly love him and included him. I am also sad he is leaving behind a teacher that truly loves him and sees his potential and has tried to make the most out of that. Despite the challenges that Matthew has I am hoping this next transition will go smoothly and that he will be able to enjoy this next stage of his schooling. I am also hoping for loving, caring people at the next school who will take him under their wing and love him as much as his current teacher and friends do. As for now I will try and not be weepy and try to enjoy the last 3 months of high school with him. Why is change so hard?!
Yesterday was the Super Bowl. I am not much of a football fan, but any reason to have a party with good food I am down for! Aaron made quite the spread. He smoked some beef for some French dip sandwiches. He also made some Anaheim pepper poppers stuffed with cheddar cheese, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. He smoked some sausages and we also had a veggie tray because you have to have something healthy, right?! It was yummy and I guess the game was okay, too--haha!
This week the liaison from Vivint Gives Back sent us their photographer's pictures of the BYU basketball game that we attended last week. These pictures are when Matthew and I were down on the court before the game started. They only allowed two people so everyone else was in their seats while we were on the court right before the basketball game started. I got to go with Matthew because Aaron was only a few days post op from his shoulder surgery so I could manhandle Matthew a lot more easily than he could if I needed to--haha! I love all the pictures especially this one that just captures Matthew's excitement in one shot:
Looking at the Jumbotron:
The security guard LOVED Matthew's enthusiasm and asked if I would take his picture with him and Matthew using his phone:
This is Brian Santiago who is BYU's athletic director. He came over and visited with me for a few minutes. He leaned in and told me that he has a son with autism and that we are all in this together and then gave me a big hug. He then gave Matthew a big hug, too:
They wanted a group photo and Matthew ditched me so he could stand right in the middle of the picture. I just had to laugh and then smile for the picture.
Here's the headshot Vivint took weeks before the game to display on their autism awareness campaign.
My handsome boy!
Here's the Autism Awareness sign on the Jumbotron before the game started:
I was grateful for the pictures and for the whole experience!!


















No comments:
Post a Comment