"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

End of School Craziness part 1, Performances, Programs, Memorial Day, Smoking, Smores

There has been so much happening these last two weeks.  I have separated it into two different blog posts just so we could fit all the stuff in our blog.  The end of the school year there is so much going on with all the kids and then you add in all the extracurricular stuff, too, it makes for a crazy time for sure!!

Sarah had her first performance for dance in this season.  The performance groups perform at two different care centers for the residents.  I look forward to these because we get to see what their dances look like in a smaller performance than the dance recital which is nice.  Sarah loves getting dolled up and to be honest I love getting her ready, too.  Here she is with her hair and makeup done and with one of her costumes on:
 She got to dance in three different dances during the performance.  Here she is during her last 'Newsies' dance with her newspaper prop:
 The crazy thing was Sarah's performance was at the same time Josh's band concert was.  Unfortunately, Aaron and I had to divide and conquer.  Thankfully, Sarah's performance didn't last too long so as soon as she finished we zoomed over to the Jr. High.  Why is it when you are trying to get somewhere fast you get behind all the slowest drivers--ugh!!  Thankfully, despite the slow drivers, we got there as soon as the 9th grade band started playing which was awesome.  I was glad I was able to see both kids perform that night!!  Here's Josh who was easy to pick out since he is a head taller than everyone else:
 After the 9th grade band performed they combined the 7th, 8th and 9th grade bands to play a final piece.  There wasn't a whole lot of room on the stage, but they were able to squeeze everyone on:
 Noah's grade had its patriotic program as well.  They told the kids to all wear either red, white or blue shirts.  They even said the cub scouts could even wear their Cub Scout shirts, too.  Noah begged and pleaded for me to let him wear his cub shirt, but that poor shirt looks rough.  After going through three boys and then hitting Noah, it is in really rough shape.  I wanted Noah to look nice so I told him he couldn't wear it.  He got upset at me and the only way I could get him to wear something else is if I offered one of Daniel's shirts.  That did the trick (although Daniel wasn't too happy about loaning out one of his blue shirts to Noah....).  Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?!  Here's my cute Bubba singing while they are getting all five classes organized:
 I loved all the songs they sang along with the props that go with them.
One of my favorite songs went through all the theme songs of the different areas of the armed forces. As the theme of each branch was sung they asked all the veterans or currently serving members to stand.  Grandpa T stood when they sang the Army theme.  He served in the Army National Guard Special Forces Unit and was a Green Beret.  Wahoo Grandpa!!  Noah was pretty excited to see his grandpa stand and be able to sing to him.  It was pretty cool to see the the people who had and are serving in the audience!
Here's the song that was being sung as Grandpa T got to stand:
Here's Noah giving G&G T lubs after the program:
When the program was over Noah wanted to go home with us instead of staying the last 20 minutes of school which we let him.  However, when we were walking out Noah didn't want anything to do with Aaron and me only G&G T.  You can see where his bread is buttered--haha!
 Sarah had her Egg Drop challenge during the week.  Her and her friend Anna teamed up to come up with a container no bigger than a basketball that would protect an egg when it was dropped off the school roof onto the ground.  Sarah and Anna came up with a cloth padded holder, shaped with plastic drinking straws held together with lots of hot glue along with plastic shopping bags for parachutes.  Unfortunately, Pinky Jr., their egg, didn't make it.  Oh well it was a fun experiment and chance to work together with Anna to design such a container.  Here is Sarah and Pinky Jr. on their way to school that morning before his unfortunate demise:
 Daniel had his medieval feast that week as well.  Daniel got to play the roll of a Lord.  We had to come up with a costume.  I finally gave up and ordered one from Amazon just to make things easier than trying to make one.  I am trying to simplify my life so don't judge too harshly--haha! Here's my cute Lord:
 He got paired up with his Lady named Katy.  The morning of the feast all five classes of the 6th grade got to march through and around the school so all the students could see the costumes.  After marching through the school they came into the gym to start their feast.  Here's my cute Lord and his Lady as they are entering the gym:
 After being seated there was a whole program put on by the students and their different medieval classes.  Here's everyone as the program got started:
 They got to watch the lowest class of the tasters test the king/queens food.  Then they got to watch a sword fight/dance, then the jesters perform, a puppet show and the lords and ladies dance.  All throughout the entertainment they were served different courses of the meal.
I got to volunteer to help out which I loved.  It was fun seeing all the 6th graders excited and interacting.  The parent volunteers got there early to do food prep so the teachers could run the program and keep things on track.   The funny ironic thing is that I got put on allergy duty.  Even though Daniel could eat all the of the food that was being served one of his classmates couldn't and I was put in charge of keeping his food from home safe from cross contamination. Good thing I have had lots of practice with that--haha!  Here's Daniel eating his 3rd course of chicken, roll and baked potato.
 After that it was time for the lord and lady dance.
The Lords and Ladies had been learning and practicing their dance at school for about a week before they were to perform it at the feast.

It was so fun to see and help with the Medieval Feast.  I got to help out when Josh did his as well.  I hope I can help when it is time for Sarah and Noah's medieval feast, too!  I am grateful I can help out!

Josh had his 9th grade dance that week, too.  Josh was pretty excited about that.  Josh got to help sign his name on the banner:
 They also had a photo op station which Josh couldn't pass up:
 Josh's favorite was the chocolate fountain bar with all the dipping stuff--potato chips, marshmallows, cookies, etc.  He even took a picture of it all to show me:
 Josh also had fun asking different girls to dance.  Since most 9th grade boys are too shy to do that, there were some girls that Josh was the only dance they got of the night.  Josh was more than happy to dance with as many girls as he could.  He's quite the lady's man!  Josh doesn't care what other people think which is a good thing--most of the time anyway--haha!

Memorial Day weekend came up on us pretty fast this year.  We didn't make any plans to go anywhere so we stuck around for the weekend.  Saturday we did lots of yard work which had been put off for a bit too long.  The weeds were getting out of control to say the least.  Anyway, we got the garden in with help from all the kids (and Sophie):
 Then I went in the front yard to pull weeds, prune, etc.  I brought Sarah and Noah along with me to help.  I HATE yard work so that's why it got put off for too long.  Sarah, Noah and I were supposed to be pulling weeds, but they kind of fizzled while I continued to work.  They kept trying to sneak off when I would catch them and bring them back to help.  As I was busy pulling even more weeds when Aaron and came got me to show the message Sarah spelled out with wood chips that says, "HELP'.  She seems to love yard work as much as I do--haha!
 Since we had worked Saturday we decided to have a fun day Monday.  We took the kids to Lagoon and had some fun.  It was threatening to rain all day which was nice because it kept the crowds down as well as the temperature.  Here we are waiting in line to ride Wicked.
 Sarah and Noah didn't want to ride a twisty turny ride with Matthew, Josh and Daniel so instead they went on the small Ferris wheel.  Noah wasn't a fan because he kept his eyes closed the whole time--haha!
 That afternoon we invited G&G T over for hot dogs and s'mores around the fire pit.
It was the perfect temperature to sit around the fire.  Aaron also made some bacon wrapped hot dogs which he smoked.  They were pretty yummy!
 Over the weekend Aaron tried smoking some deviled eggs which were pretty good.  Although they contained jalapeños I still really liked them:

No comments:

Post a Comment