"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Catch up Part #1, Birthdays Galore, Purple/Blue Hair, April Fool's Pranks, Single Mom, Pinewood Derby, Easter

These past two weeks have been jam packed so I split them up into two smaller posts just to make it a bit easier to get them done.

Two weeks ago it was my birthday.  Aaron surprised me by making a yummy dinner.  The kids got smoked burgers, but Aaron and I got a smoked Vegas steak which was pretty yummy.  Aaron has been working on me about the doneness of my steak.  When we first got married my steak had to always be well done.  Aaron has finally gotten me to the point that I can handle eating a medium steak without gagging and actually enjoy it.  I don't know if I could ever eat a rare steak, though, however, I am really okay with that.  

Here's Noah trying to eat his ginormous hamburger with every topping known to man on it:
 Here's Aaron and my split Vegas Steak--yum!
 Aaron also surprised me with a cake from the bakery.  The kids had fun putting the candles in and watching Aaron light all of them:
 Trying to think of a wish before I blew out the candles with help from Sarah:
 The next day Aaron left on a business trip to California by the coast.  Here was his view from his hotel.  What a rough life, right?!
I love me a good bowl of Clam Chowder so I was a bit jealous when Aaron texted me his bowl full of goodness.  However, he only texted me the picture because he knew I loved it and that was the only reason why he ordered it was because he missed me...I should have texted back my dinner that night of a yummy bowl macaroni and cheese covered in ketchup.  I am sure he would have loved that or maybe just gagged a little over it--haha!
 As for me it was an incredibly busy time even more so being a single parent.   For my birthday present Aaron surprised me with a salon visit.  I decided to try something I had never tried before--I colored it dark to cover the glitter highlights aka the gray hair and then I got blue and purple streaks put in my hair.  I really like it.  It is something fun and different.  The pictures don't do it justice, but the colors really do come out in the sunlight.



I was glad I had some help that first day because I couldn't be in three different places at once.  I am very grateful for my neighbor who was able to take Josh to his youth council meeting.  I was also very grateful for G&G T who were able to pick Josh up from his meeting and then take Noah to his soccer game and watch as well.  I was grateful Josh was able to make everyone dinner, too.  When you have five kids and everyone has to be somewhere else at the same time it really helps to have people willing to step in when you can't do it all especially when Aaron was gone.

The next day I had a dentist appointment and I am happy to report no cavities and that my teeth are doing well--wahoo!  Josh had a doctor's appointment that afternoon for his track physical.  I always feel bad for him when I have to leave the room and hear him cough while I am standing outside his room.  Poor guy!  Luckily, he is healthy as a horse.  Without shoes on he is 6' 3.5" and weighs 162.  He is at the 99th percentile for height for his age.  He has always run high on his height percentage.  However, in balancing out his BMI he is perfectly proportional despite his tallness.  He is glad to have his physical over until next year.  That is something he really doesn't enjoy and I can't say as I blame him--haha!  That evening was the Pinewood Derby.  It was for the Cub Scouts and the Activity Day girls.  Aaron helped Sarah and Noah build their cars, but was not around to do the final touches to them.  Thankfully, Grandpa T was able to step in and help with the final touches on their cars since I have no idea of what I am doing when it comes to the Derby.  Here's Grandpa getting Noah and Sarah's cars graphited and running smoothly before the races started:

 They had each of the kids pick up their own cars and place them on the racing track when it was their turn to race.  That about gave me a heart attack because Noah isn't always the most careful...Thankfully he did not end up dropping the car--phew!!
 Noah's car did okay.  He didn't come in first, but he didn't come in last either.  He was in the middle of the pack which was great.  He had fun winning a few heats against the other boys.  Here's one of the winning heats for his car which was in the middle lane:
 They had all the Cub Scouts race first.  Then the next hour was for the Activity Day girls.  Since Sarah had been to the previous Cub Scout race she knew all the answers of the initial meeting before the race began.  She got to give the answers when the guy in charge of the race asked them.  Since Sarah is a bit quiet the guy had her stand up and yell the answers to his questions toward the audience so they could hear they answers, too.  Little do they know that Sarah has a very loud voice at home that most people don't get to see very often--haha!
 Here's Sarah getting ready to watch her truck race:
 Here's Noah's award for the 'Most Magnetic Car'.  Aaron used magnets to get Noah's car to the correct weight.
 I was a bit worried about Sarah's car.  She insisted she wanted a truck for the Derby.  Well a truck isn't the most aerodynamic, but she insisted she still wanted to do a truck for the race anyway.  Surprisingly enough her truck did great.  She ended up placing in fifth overall, but that was a lot better than what I though it would be when she was racing a truck.  Wahoo!  I let both kids paint their own cars.  Sarah painted her truck purple and then spelled out, 'Silly Boys Trucks are for Girls' on the sides:
 While we were at the Pinewood Derby Grandma T took Daniel to his soccer game since it was at the same time.  Here's Daniel's team:
 After soccer was over Grandma T came over and joined me and Grandpa T to watch the rest of the Pinewood Derby.  I was so glad to have their help while Aaron was out of town!!

Aaron would call to see how things were going in the evening.  We made a few of those face time calls.  It is hard to squeeze in 6 faces on a small screen for the call, but we sure tried.  Daniel is the one missing from this picture:
 Aaron got home late Friday night which was good.  No rest for the weary because the next morning was the city Easter Egg hunt.  Since Josh is on the Youth Council he got to help with the Easter egg Hunt.  Here's Josh manning his post before the hunt started:
 We had to divide and conquer.  I took Sarah, Aaron took Noah and Daniel took himself to the right area of the field for the hunt.  Here Sarah is waiting for it to start:
 Noah waiting:
 Afterward with their loot:
 Luckily the city we live on the border of, but not in had another Easter egg Hunt that morning, too which we took the kids to as well.  We divided and conquered again, but it wasn't as bad this time since Sarah and Daniel were in the same area for their age group.  Here's Daniel in the gray shirt waiting for it to start:
 Sarah:
 Noah:

 It was mass pandemonium when it started:
 After that we went over to G&G T's house to celebrate all the March birthdays which are all within 4 days of each other (mine, Johanna, and Grandpa T's).  After a yummy dinner G&G T had prepared an Easter egg hunt for the grandkids to participate in.  Here's right after they said, "GO!":
 The kids had a number of eggs they could pick up so everyone got the same amount.  That makes it more enjoyable since everyone gets the same amount of eggs.

 Here they all are scoping out their loot after it was over:



 After that we had some birthday cake and ice cream for the March birthdays:
 Grandma T got her craft on and made all the grandkids these cute Easter Bunnies with M&Ms:
 Later that evening was the Priesthood Session of General Conference.  Aaron took Matthew, Josh and Daniel.  Grandpa T wasn't feeling very well so he didn't go with them this time, but he was missed.  Here's my handsome guys before they left for Conference:
 While they were gone I took Sarah and Noah out to look for an Easter dress for Sarah.  I was a bit of a procrastinator in that department, but we found one for her.  She is truly a shop till you drop kind of gal.  By the end of it Noah and I were done shopping, but Sarah wasn't done yet.  Luckily, she found her dress after two hours of looking and then we were all able to go home.

The next morning the Easter Bunny found our house and hid everyone's Easter Basket for them to find. Sarah helped Noah find his:
 Matthew:
 Noah:
 Sarah:
 Josh and Daniel:
I had forgotten that it was April fools day that day.  I thought we had gotten through April fools Day without any pranks since I had forgotten it, but that was not the case.  Josh and Daniel decided to prank everyone.  When we weren't looking they went and substituted some Beanboozled Jelly Beans amongst everyone's regular jelly beans without telling anyone.  It wasn't until they started munching along on their jelly beans and came across either a sour milk, dirty sock, vomit, etc. flavored jelly bean that they realized what had happened.  Icky, but well played.  I will have to think of a good way to get them next year!!  Good thing I have a whole year to think about it.  I should be able to come up with a good retaliation in a year---haha!

Aaron continued on with his tradition of making a huge breakfast spread for us to enjoy during the first session of General Conference.  We also watched the afternoon session as well.  Afterward it felt like we had just binge watched a bunch of tv, only it is binge watching our church leaders speak--haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment