"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Literacy Night, Haircut, Mining, Blue and Gold Banquet, Etc.

Another week has flown by.  Last Thursday was a Literacy Night at the elementary school.  Aaron took the three youngest while I stayed back with Josh and Matthew since they think they are too old for such things.  They had a lot of Olympic themed activities for the kids to do.  Here's a few pictures of the evening:

Here's the hockey activity where they had to sweep letters into boxes to make words.

 Here was a matching/rhyming game:
 Sarah is definitely our daughter--wearing flip flops with snow on the ground outside--haha!
 Daniel just being a punk--haha!
 Any excuse for a picture with props:
They were also able to trade some old books and get some new books to read which they were excited about.

For some reason this picture was flipped.  When I look at it I think of the song 'Dancing on the Ceiling' by Lionel Richie--haha!


 The favorite part of the night was eating the milk and cookies:
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose in parenting.  Last Friday Noah was being a stinker so he got sent to his room.  Unfortunately, I was busy cooking dinner and the kids were working on their homework.  That meant I forgot he was in his room--DOH!  When Aaron got home he went to check on him and found him fast asleep.  I felt bad, but he was so cute and peaceful.  
Please don't tell me I am the only one that occasionally forgets about their kid after they are sent to their room....Don't worry we paid the price since he was wide awake until really late that night because he wasn't tired at bedtime--double DOH!!

Sarah has been needing her hair trimmed.  I just haven't had the time so I finally just took her down to have someone cut her hair.  She ended up cutting off about 10 inches.  Her hair was so long (it went past her bum) that Sarah had to stand up so they could cut her hair.  I cut her hair most of the time so Sarah thought having a professional cut her hair was pretty awesome.
 This week I got to help out with a 4th grade activity.  The entire 4th grade had a lesson about mining and land reclamation.  Some representatives from Staker Parsons company were there to run the activity.  Somehow the kids had all earned money beforehand.  I think it was linked to their classroom behavior which meant some kids had more money than others.  I got to sell them cookies with their class money.  They could buy a small cookie for $3, medium cookie for $5 and a large cookie for $7.  They could buy as many or as little cookies as they wanted or could afford.  After they got their cookies they traced them out on some graph paper.  Then they had the opportunity to buy 'tools' to mine their cookie with which ended up being a toothpick and/or a paperclip.  When everyone had been set up they were supposed to mine as many chocolate chips out of their cookie in 5 minutes with only using their tools and not their hands.  After the 5 minutes were up they were paid in class money for the number of chocolate chips they were able to mine from their cookie(s).  The kicker of the event was after they had mined their cookie they were given 1 minute to reclaim their cookie back to the original tracing using only their tools meaning no hands.  If they had crumbs anywhere on the graph paper besides their cookie circle they were fined.  If their cookie circle was not fully covered by cookie crumbs they were also fined.  It was a good experience to help the kids learn and understand the different things about mining.  I am proud to say that Sarah came out with the most money of the entire 4th grade which has 5 different classes.  She received a t-shirt from Staker Parsons as her prize.  Wahoo Sarah!  Maybe she will have a future in mining...or with cookies--haha!  Here's my cute girl and her friend as they were waiting to sell their chocolate chips from their 'mined' cookies:
Here's the big winner showing off her t-shirt:
 We got a late Christmas present this week.  I finally printed up the last half of the 2016 blog and both halves of the 2017 blog.  The kids have been asking about them ever since 2018 started so I am glad to get that up to date.  Do you ever make a check list and include things you have already done so you can automatically check it off and feel accomplished?  That is a weird thing I do sometimes and I the only one that does it?  Anyway, this was part of the to do list I made and was able to check them off--haha and Wahoo!
Last night was the Blue and Gold Banquet for the Cub Scouts.  Although Noah isn't in Cub Scouts yet he still was able to go since he will be starting Cub Scouts in two more months.  They recognized him as an incoming Cub Scout this year and welcomed him in.  The theme of the night was 'Scouting is Magic'.  To welcome Noah they let him try on the sorting hat.  He pulled it over his head and was a little goofy so I am sure he will fit right in with the other Cub Scouts--haha!

While we were waiting for everyone to get there all the kids got to make their own wands from supplies at each of the tables.  Here's Noah's wand and I guess he took it pretty seriously.
 They asked each of the families to decorate a cake for a contest and then they all ended up being dessert.  Here's the magic cake Noah and I decorated:
Noah got the 'Most Boy Oriented' cake award:
 Of course my kids can never pass up a photo op:
 For some reason Noah was standing in the shadow so it looks like he has two black eyes, but he really didn't.
 We only ended up bringing Sarah and Noah since the other boys had mutual at the same time.

Here we are making the wands:
 After a potato bar dinner they invited a magician to come do a show.  Here's all the kids waiting for the magic show to begin:
 Here's the magician who did a pretty fun job:
Josh got his youth council t-shirt and sweat shirt yesterday.  Here he is modeling it:
 All the names got printed on the bums of their sweatshirt which I think is an interesting place to put them, but I guess it is original.

No comments:

Post a Comment