Well it appears Daniel may need to go back to remedial OIT school. He supposedly graduated from Oral Immunotherapy for cashew and pistachios last Thursday, however, he was munching down on some pistachios Friday afternoon and had a severe reaction. He was covered head to toe in hives, wheezing, sneezing, coughing, hoarse voice, snotty mess, the whole 9 yards. Luckily, we were able to stop it with our emergency meds at home (Prednisone, Ranitidine, Allegra, and his rescue inhaler) before we had to use the Epi pen. Daniel is terrified of the Epi pen so I was glad we didn't end up needing to use it, but it was close. The emergency medication kicked in pretty quickly so the worst of it was over after about 30 minutes. It only took a few hours for all the hives to disappear completely, however, the spots where he'd scratched his skin raw stayed around for a few days. Here's what his whole body looked like (all that red is one ginormous group of hives):
I called the on call number for the allergist which got me to the nurse and they said to stop the pistachios, but continue on his maintenance dose of cashews. Unfortunately, it happened Friday afternoon after the office was closed so I wasn't able to call the next day to get the full instructions. However, as fate would have it, we ran into his allergist at the grocery store Saturday morning and talked to him about it. He knew all about Daniel's reaction from the on call nurse I had talked to the previous day which was impressive. He said that he wanted to wait for Daniel's body to get fully used to the cashews for a few months before we reintroduce the pistachios and if we need to do a mini OIT for pistachios we could. DOH! I thought we were done with OIT, but not quite yet. Hopefully with time the maintenance dose of cashew will finally cancel out the pistachio allergy, but for now he will just avoid pistachios. We see the allergist again in a month for a follow up so we will know more then. In the meantime we had to deal with Daniel's 'roid rage (steroids make him extremely moody) the whole weekend, but I think it's finally out of his system. Phew! It was a rough few days there, though.
My cute Sarahbug had a scratch on her nose that she won't leave alone. She will absentmindedly pick at it so to try and stop that we put a bandaid on her nose. We had her take it off if we were going anywhere, though. She insisted that we take a picture of it so here she is in her bandaid nose glory:
Noah is a pretty laid back kid unless it has something to do with his hair. That kid spends more time combing his hair than his three brothers combined. He can only comb his hair in my bathroom, too--the light must be better in there I guess. Who knows?! Anyway, he has to do the 'waves' and get them just right in the front of his hair. It is comical to watch him because he really does spend a long time combing it. Now if you look closer you can see that his shirt is on backwards and what you can't see are that his socks are mismatched. He doesn't care about that, he only really cares about getting the 'waves' just right in his hair. Another funny thing is he will spend that long combing his hair, but then he will put his hood on when he goes outside which messes it all up. **Sigh** What a crazy kid!
Last week basketball started up for Daniel. The city 'voluntold' Aaron that he would help coach Daniel's basketball team as well. Luckily, he is team coaching with another dad which he feels more comfortable with since basketball isn't his forte. The first few weeks are practices then the games will begin. After basketball practice Saturday we took the family over to the Creche Festival. The Creche Festival asks families in the area to donate their nativities for people to come look at for two days. It is for everyone not just LDS people which is pretty cool. It is so interesting because their are nativities from all around the world that are displayed. They have all kinds of nativities from Playskool sets on up to super fancy ones. They are pretty neat to go and see all of them. The whole church gym is filled up with a lot of nativities.
This is the 3rd year that I have been able to display mine. My nativities aren't fancy, but more sentimental.
Saturday evening was our wards Christmas party. We had dinner then they had a nativity play. Daniel had the only speaking part of the whole thing. He was a Roman soldier:
It is the same costume he used for the Wax Museum a few weeks ago (minus the sugar skull gummy worm Medusa head) when he was Perseus so it was great we were able to use it again. Here's his speaking part:
Here's the nativity scene on the stage (Daniel is the one on the far left with the sword):
Daniel was so serious and wouldn't smile for any of the pictures--crazy kid:It was an entertaining evening.
This past weekend we made some homemade egg nog. Yummm! The kids thought it left the funniest creamy mustaches behind:
I had my last two work shifts this week for the semester. Wahoo! Unfortunately they were swing shifts which meant I missed a few things. Tuesday night Josh had a band concert that I wasn't able to go to. Luckily, Aaron and the kids as well as G&G T were able to go. Here's a picture of Josh that Aaron took. He is the 4th one over from the left side:
As luck would have it, though, the band, orchestra and choir did an assembly the next day that I was able to go to. Here's everyone as they were getting ready to start the assembly:
The band was the very last ones to play. I was sweating bullets because I HAD to leave by 1:15pm to get to work on time. The band started playing the first of their three songs at 1:10pm. DOH!! Needless to say I was a few minutes late to work because I wanted to hear all three songs the band played. Oh well it all worked out. I was just glad I was able to hear Josh play. Here's the band:
Here's Josh who is the 2nd trumpet in on the left side:
Last night while I was at work they had a Court of Honor. Daniel was able to receive his First Class award:
Josh received his Life Scout award:
Wahoo! The boys are really coming along with scouting. Now on to figuring out what to do for Josh's Eagle project...
No comments:
Post a Comment