"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Spit Test, Cars, Hitler Car, Dentist, Sleepy, Sick Dog

This past week went by fast!  Last week Aaron was in New Mexico on a business trip.  It always makes for a long week when he is gone.  Anyway, he got a Mustang as a car rental and he and his work buddy took it out for some fun on Route 66 after they first got it.  Here is Aaron posing in front of the car:
 I guess the car had a Mustang emblem that would show up at night which was pretty cool:
 While Aaron was gone I got to take the kids to the dentist.  Amazingly enough no one had any cavities.  Wahoo!  Here is Noah getting sealants put on his back molars:
 Here's Josh waiting for his turn with the hygienist.  Doesn't he look excited--haha?!:
 I like to keep up on autism research and last week I found a world wide DNA study a company is doing.  I went ahead and signed our family up.  A few days later our DNA kit came in.  We had to spit in a test tube and they actually needed quite a bit of saliva.  It took a good 2-3 minutes to fill up.  It was kind of gross, but we did it anyway.  They wanted the autistic child, one full blooded sibling, and both biological parents to submit samples.  Josh was the sibling that got to participate.  Josh was quite the overachiever when it came to filling up the test tube.  He filled his within a minute.  I wonder if he could use that on any talent shows because it was pretty impressive--haha!  Anyway, Matthew really didn't like filling his tube, but he was a trooper and did it anyway.
 We should find out our results in a month or two.  They are also testing for other genetic weird things, too, but mostly autism.  They are looking to isolate the autism genes so that is why they are looking at families of autistic individuals.  The last autism study we participated in was 11 years ago down at the University of Utah and it was pretty interesting.  The not only took DNA samples from Matthew, Josh, Aaron and me, but they also did IQ tests on all of us, too.  It was an interesting experience.  I figure if we can help figure out anything about autism we should do our part.  Besides what could be more fun than spitting in a bottle for science--haha?!

Noah fights going to bed every night.  As soon as I tuck him in he pops right out of bed and says he needs lubs with his pillow and curls up with me on the couch.  How can I resist?  I know he is tired because he usually falls asleep within a few minutes of getting lubs, but I don't mind.  I am trying to enjoy my last baby.  I know there won't be too many more times that he wants lubs with his pillow so I am enjoying it.  Aaron says I am spoiling him, but I don't care.  I love it.
 Our whole car situation change this last week.  We have had the Suburban and the Hyundai up for sale.  I HATE being the one responsible to show the cars to people so I would set up times for people to come and see the cars while Aaron was home so he could take care of it.  However, wouldn't you know it, a family we had been texting back and forth who lived in Jensen, Utah (out by Vernal) decided to come up while Aaron was out of town which meant I had to be the one to show them the car--boo!  I hated that because they would ask me technical questions about the car and I would look like a deer in the headlights.  I must have not been a very good salesmen because the people didn't buy it.  However, the next day after Aaron was back in town another couple came too look at the Suburban and they bought it.  Aaron must be a better salesman than I am which isn't hard to do by the way--haha!  We followed the people to the bank so they could finalize the loan and we could get the money.  It was sad to see the Suburban parked in the parking lot knowing this would be the last time we would see/drive it.
 We had lots of trips and good memories in that car.  Happy trails!

Anyway, we had Aaron's car up for sale at the same time.  The crazy thing is Aaron got a couple calls to see the Hyundai while we were waiting at the bank to finalize the title transfer to the couple about the Suburban.  As soon as we got home from the bank a guy came by and bought the Hyundai.  So we sold both cars within an hour of each other even though they had both been up for sale for 2 1/2 weeks.  Crazy how things work out.  Aaron was a bit sad to see the Hyundai go, too.  He had had this car before he had met me so it was the last piece of his bachelorhood he was hanging on to.
It was so weird to be down to just two cars--the van and the old blue truck.  Our garage looked empty!

The next day was a Saturday and it was a BUSY day.  We had to go to the bank first thing in the morning to deposit the check from the sale of the Suburban.  Then we had a friend's baptism to go to, Beth Einzinger.  The kids think it is fun to see their friends get baptized.  I got to hold baby Drew throughout the baptism and I didn't mind.  I miss having a baby, but that chapter in my life has passed so I will just enjoy someone elses baby.

After the baptism luncheon Aaron and I got to go car shopping.  We had been passively looking online to see what was available on the off chance our cars would sell.  It was a good thing because they both sold at the same time.  I wanted a reliable car so we were looking at Toyotas.  We ended up getting a used Camry for Aaron to mostly drive.  On the times that I have to work I will be taking it, but Aaron will drive it most of the time.  Aaron didn't want a white car because he is not a fan of the color white, but we found a good deal and we compromised.  I didn't like the front black grill, but the car was the right price so that's what we got.
 It is fun to drive.  I nicknamed it the Hitler car because the front grill looks like a Hitler mustache.  Oh well, what can you do?!  I am just glad to have reliable transportation!  The kids overheard me and now call it the Hitler car, too.  Hopefully no one will get offended by that...
 That Saturday was so long!  We didn't get back home until 8 pm.  It was a crazy day, but pretty productive!  Later that night after the kids were in bed Aaron and I were watching some TV when I noticed Aaron had fallen asleep in my lap.  I was going to finish the TV show we were watching before we went to bed.  A few minutes later I noticed Sophie start dry heaving on my blanket.  Nasty.  I jumped up to move her to somewhere else and in the process of me jumping up Aaron got jerked awake and almost knocked the floor--the poor guy.  Luckily, Sophie ran off the blanket and was on the laminate before she barfed so it made it easier to clean up.  Gross!  It made me dry heave as I was trying to clean it up, too.  Ick!  I had no idea why she was sick until I walked into my closet and saw a chewed open bag of chocolate Cadbury eggs Sophie had dug out of my closet and gone to town on.  Judging by the leftover eggs she had eaten quite a few chocolate eggs which obviously didn't agree with her.  Luckily, she only barfed one more time and then was good as new.  I am a bit frustrated because she still needs supervision when she is loose in the house.  Since Aaron and I were out car shopping the kids were supposed to be watching her.  Well you can see how well they 'watched' her.  Ugh!  Oh well, what can you do?!  Luckily, milk chocolate isn't as bad for dogs since it has so many other ingredients in it besides chocolate.  Don't get me wrong it still isn't good for dogs to ingest, but better than dark chocolate which is really bad for dogs.  I am glad she was ok after eating so many chocolate eggs--the stinker!  She's not as innocent as she looks--trust me:
The next day, Sunday, we went to church.  Noah had a bit of some ants in his pants during Sacrament meeting.  It got bad enough Aaron tried to take Noah out.  When Noah figured out what was happening he didn't want to leave because sitting in the foyer with Dad is not fun.  He laid down on the floor in front of Matthew and Josh's feet to try to make it too hard to be picked up to be taken out--the stinker!  Luckily, Aaron is a pro when it comes to these types of kid tactics so Aaron was still able to pick him up and get him out to the foyer without too much of a scene.  Wouldn't you know it a few minutes after getting out to the foyer Noah fell fast asleep on Aaron. No wonder he was being so naughty--he was tired!
During Relief Society a sister who had just had twin babies came and sat down a few seats away from me.  I scooted down and asked if she would like some help during the lesson and she said yes.  I was pretty excited.  I got to hold a sweet 3 month old baby during Relief Society.  He was so sweet.  She held the other twin.  They were really good and didn't cry thank goodness!  I was glad to be able to help and even more glad to be able to snuggle a sweet baby!  I have to get my baby fix from somewhere, right?!

As soon as we got home from church we had a Superbowl party at our house with the Einzingers.  We had lots of yummy food and watched the game.  I am not much of a football person, but it was an interesting game to watch.  The commercials were ok to watch, too.  Aaron is sad that the football season is over, though.

Daniel, Josh and Matthew all got FitBits for Christmas.  A FitBit is a cool pedometer that you can sync up with a computer so you can network with different people.  I have loved mine and had it for about 4 years.  The kids were excited to now be able to compete with me in getting the most steps in.   Now with the FitBit you can do challenges with people to see who can get the most steps over the week or weekend.  We have done a few challenges the last couple weeks.  I lost every single one.  I don't mind, though.  Daniel takes these competitions pretty seriously--he is quite competitive.  He won one and it was because he kept doing stuff like this comic:
 Matthew won one because he is a bit competitive, too.  Poor Sophie sure got walked a lot during that competition.  It got to the point that as soon as Matthew would grab the leash she would hide.  Poor girl!  It has been fun competing with them.  Maybe someday I might actually win a challenge--how's that for wishful thinking?!

No comments:

Post a Comment