"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Horrible No Good Weekend, Homerun, Good Sport, Baseball/Softball, Ambulance Ride, Seizure

 It has been an eventful week for our family.  The weather has been so nice that Noah loves riding his bike and is wanting to go for longer bike ride/walks.  The other day we made it all the way down to the park about a mile away from our house and around.  All in all we went about 3 miles which is pretty good for a kid on a bike with training wheels.  Of course we had to stop and play while we were at the park.
 In getting ready for girls camp the stake has put all the assistant camp directors in charge of the youth camp leader committees.  I am one of the ones in charge of the activities and games up at camp.  We had a meeting with the youth camp leaders (the girls who are 16-17) and let them come up with the activities that sounded like fun to them.  One of the activities was the game messy Twister.  It's where you make a huge Twister board and then cover all the colored circles with colored shaving cream.  When that idea was passed by the stake leaders they had some reservations about the shaving cream getting in the girls' eyes and causing problems.  I didn't think this would be a big deal and Aaron didn't either.  To prove my point, and, Aaron being the good sport he is, put shaving cream right into his eye to see if it would hurt.  It didn't hurt or sting at all, but I sure got a funny picture out of the deal--haha!
 Daniel is losing his baby teeth left and right.  He lost this one the other day.  At this rate the Tooth Fairy won't have any money left!!  Daniel also has great timing--he loses his teeth when I am the only one around so I have to handle them myself.  Ewwwww! I think teeth are really gross so Daniel likes to tease me with it.  Ewwwww again!!
Daniel had his last soccer game of the season last week.  Wahoo!  The kid scored another 4 goals in this game, too.  He was pretty proud!
 His 4th grade teacher even came to watch the game.  She had a few students on both teams that she got to watch.  What a nice teacher!  Daniel was excited to see her there.
 Since it was the last game of the season the coach threw a pizza party for all the kids.  During the game the coach sent her husband to pick up the pizza.  The kids were so excited for pizza that they didn't even wait for him to park in the parking lot before they stormed his car to get to the pizza.  Daniel told us later that he ended up eating 5 pieces.  What?!  Good thing the coach got a ton of pizzas is all I can say!
Josh is keeping busy.  He is now up to maintenance allergy shots which means he only needs to go in once a month to get his allergy shots done.  We only have to do that for the next 3-5 years.  He also got to do a Bird Identifying Merit badge class early Saturday morning.  From his check list he got to see quite a few different birds.


We had quite the scare Saturday morning.  Aaron and I tried sleeping in, but that didn't work out very well with 5 kids!  All 5 kids were up and playing/fighting at 7 am.  Bleh!  We finally gave up on sleeping and got up.  I was just getting out of the shower when Aaron came in with the thermometer showing Noah had a fever of 103 degrees.  Boo!  That was really weird because he was up and running around just an hour ago.  Noah didn't have any other symptoms besides the fever which was weird.  Anyway, Noah felt pretty crummy from the fever so I let him lay down in my bed with his pillow and blanket while I got dressed and ready for the day.  While I was brushing my teeth I heard these weird gagging sounds so I went to check on Noah only to find him having a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure in my bed.  I went over to turn him on his side and yelled for Aaron to come help me.  Aaron came and called 911 because Noah was gray and not breathing.  Thankfully he started breathing soon after the seizure stopped.  The ambulance came.  After the seizure Noah was not really responsive.  The paramedic pricked his finger for a blood sugar and Noah didn't even respond or move his hand away after they pricked it which shows how unresponsive he was.  His room air oxygen saturation was only at 90% which isn't too bad, but not great especially since he was not very alert and responsive.  It was decided to transport him to the hospital in the ambulance just in case he seized again and to get some oxygen on him.  Thankfully G&G T were able to come watch the other kids while Aaron was able to drive over to the hospital behind the ambulance.  The whole trip to the hospital Noah really couldn't stay awake.  I was just glad I got to ride along with my kid this time.  About 25 minutes into the trip he started perking up a little bit, but was still pretty loopy from the seizure--the poor kid.
 At least his heart was beating strong since we have the EKG strip to prove it:
They got us back in a room at the ER right away.  The poor kid just mostly slept for the next few hours.  Thankfully, he didn't have any more seizures.  They don't really know what happened.  They started an IV and fluids, drew some blood and had him pee in a cup which was an adventure in itself--think wild water hose.  It was amazing they even got enough urine in the cup to sample--haha!  Anyway, they don't know if it was a febrile seizure (however, Noah is really old to be having his first febrile seizure), or if the high fever lowered his seizure threshold of an underlying seizure disorder.  Our family history of Epilepsy isn't the best, either.  Just to be on the safe side they referred us down to the Neurology clinic down at Primary Children's Hospital.
 The frustrating thing was, was that he had the seizure Saturday morning and the clinic didn't open until Monday morning.  We just had to wait to call until Monday which seemed like forever.  We tried to keep his fever down all of Saturday.  I was pretty nervous to leave Noah alone so he slept in my bed Saturday night.  By Sunday evening he didn't have a fever anymore at all.  He didn't have any other symptoms either which was still weird.  However, Aaron wasn't so lucky.  He got double whammied.  When Aaron heard me yell about Noah's seizure he really heard the panic in my voice and came running.  Unfortunately, he tripped over the bookcase and a few kids which made him fall and face plant on the hard floor.  He has a nice bruised lump on his knee and a purple toe.  He also got a pretty bad stomach bug Sunday afternoon/night.  It seemed all his insides wanted to be in the outside (if you know what I mean) the whole night.  I felt pretty bad for him.  He was pretty ill and sore from his face plant on the floor so I let him take over the master bedroom and bathroom while I went and slept on Noah's bedroom floor Sunday night so I could listen out for him.  Wow let's just say the floor was pretty hard to sleep on.  Judging by that I don't think I am quite ready for girl's camp yet--haha! Thankfully, Noah didn't have any more seizures and Aaron started feeling better late Monday morning.

Anyway I called the clinic first thing Monday morning.  After being on eternal hold I got to an scheduler.  She was looking at appointments and told me the soonest they could get him in was next week on the fast track appointments.  Just for a Hail Mary because I didn't want to wait a week to be seen I asked her if there was any openings with Josh's neurologist because I really love her.  She is usually scheduled out a few months so this really was not looking good.  The scheduler put me on eternal hold.  When she came back she told me they had an appointment the next morning with Dr. Benedict.  I said we would definitely be taking that appointment as I did my happy dance.

We met with Dr. Benedict this morning.  While waiting in the room Noah decided to see how many jumping jacks he could do in a minute.  His record was 71 if you were wondering.  Thankfully we didn't have to wait too long to the the neurologist.  Noah was a bit nervous about being in the clinic.  Everyone he came in contact to he would ask them if he was getting any shots that day.  It was his lucky day because there were no shots.

She was concerned.  Noah has a few strikes against him seizure wise--1.  He was premature at birth, 2.  He has a family history of epilepsy for two immediate family members, 3.  He is pretty old to be having a first time febrile seizure.  To try and see if there is any seizure activity going on she is going to have him get a sleep deprived EEG this week.  When she sees the results from that she will decide what she would like to do next.  I am not too excited about this, but I would like to make sure Noah is ok.  I could just sit and cry, but there's not time for that....

After our visit we stopped by to get a late breakfast at the cafe.  Noah was a pretty entertaining breakfast partner.

Back to Saturday night by the evening Noah had a bit more energy.  He went outside and was playing with Sarah while Aaron put in our garden.  Sarah and Noah were talking to each other through the garden sprinkler pipe.
 I kept Noah home Monday just to make sure he was ok.  Since Aaron started feeling a bit better by late morning Monday he wanted to get some parts to fix the leaking garden watering system.  Noah was his store buddy.  At one of the stores Noah found a pot of shelled peanuts for customers.  He was in heaven.  He couldn't believe they were free!  When it was time to go he tried to sneak a handful out, but Aaron made him put them back.
The funny thing is that Aaron got the garden put in, but Sophie took part of it back out again.  Every time we let her go outside to potty she runs over and starts chewing up the plants.  Aaron's not too happy about it, but Sophie, the naughty puppy, sure enjoys it.

 In other happenings Sarah, Noah and Daniel started baseball last week.  Here's Sarah up at bat:
 Noah just hanging out on the field during his practice:
In Noah's practice they practiced running around the bases.  He has that cute all over body run that Daniel had and still has.  I love it!

Daniel has had a few practices and he had his first game last night.  He even hit his very first home run ball.  Wahoo Daniel!
Grandma M has been going through a few pictures and sent us an old picture of Aaron way back when.  A few people said they could see Josh in the picture so I made this side by side.  I am not sure if I see Josh in the picture or not, but it was still fun to see an old picture of Aaron--haha!  Either way they are both handsome!!

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow. That is so scary. I'm telling you - you were so led in choosing to be a nurse! If only you could count all these experiences for cont. ed!!😊 I am so sorry & hope everything goes well & they get this figured out for you guys. We'll be praying for you!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow. That is so scary. I'm telling you - you were so led in choosing to be a nurse! If only you could count all these experiences for cont. ed!!😊 I am so sorry & hope everything goes well & they get this figured out for you guys. We'll be praying for you!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete