"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, June 1, 2015

Bear, Birthday, Scissors Mishap, Medieval Feast, Luau

Wow, it's been a crazy week!  It seems to get busier the closer it gets to summer vacation!  Noah thought he'd get a head start on his summer haircut when he got hold of some scissors  last week.  Don't you like the bald patches he cut out over the top of his head.  What a helpful guy :/.  Hey I am just glad it was him and not Sarah who cut their own hair!
However, Sarah isn't as innocent as she seems.  The other night after we put Sarah and Noah to bed they found a marker somewhere and decided they needed to channel their inner artist.  Sarah covered Noah from head to toe in green marker especially his face.  He had green maker eyeliner and lipstick.  She also drew a huge smiley face on his stomach and colored his legs and arms all green.  Thankfully, it was a washable marker so things came off Noah pretty well without too much scrubbing.  However, his pillow pet didn't fare so well.  Who knows maybe I could have Sarah sign the bottom of the pillow pet and it might be worth something someday if she ever becomes a successful artist---how's that for wishful thinking?!
 This morning Sarah and Noah woke up around 5:30 am.  I was not anywhere near ready to get up at that time so I let them play.  Little did I know they were sneaking handfuls of cereal into Noah's room to eat them.  I think they spilled more than they ate by the looks of Noah's bedroom floor.  Ugh!!  Next time I may want to try a little harder to get out of bed when I hear the pitter patter of kid feet and giggles running down the hallway from the kitchen, bedrooms and to the laundry room because there was a bunch of cereal in the laundry room, too for whatever reason.  Crazy kids!!
 Last week I was out running errands and Noah was starving so we stopped and had a quick lunch.  Noah was a fun lunch partner until he had to go play on the playground.  It was a fun lunch date.  Noah is getting old enough that I won't have too many more opportunities for daytime lunch dates without checking kids out of school first.
 Wednesday night was Pack Meeting for the Cub Scouts.  Daniel got his Bear Award--Wahoo!!  He pinned the Mom's Bear pin on my shirt and then it was time for a cheesy Cub Scout Cheer.  Wahoo again, Daniel!
 It was also the bike rodeo, too.  Daniel rode his bike around and Noah rode his scooter in between getting into mischief!
Wednesday night for our Young Women activity we had a camp certification class.  A fireman who is in our ward came and taught a first aid class and he was even able to bring along a CPR mannequin so we could try out our CPR and Heimlich maneuver skills.  It was a fun night, but camp is getting a lot closer which makes me a little nervous.  We do have most of it planned, but it still is nerve wracking!

Thursday Noah had a baseball game.  He is getting a bit more interested in playing which is nice.  Don't get me wrong he still has his lay on the ground times, but he is standing up and playing more than laying down for now which is a great improvement!
 He even hit his first few coach pitch balls:
 While we were at Noah's baseball game Josh had had a band party/meeting as well.  It was a social so all the new band kids coming in 7th grade could meet the older kids and get to know them.  They had a BBQ which was music to Josh's ears.  Josh loves BBQs.  Hopefully they had enough food for him....When it was over Josh walked over to where we were for Noah's game--it was all at the same park which was nice.  Daniel wanted to come along to the game with me, too, because his friend was going to be there.  Just as we were leaving the house Daniel found a pair of Heely shoes that fit him.  Heely's are the shoes with the skate in the heel of the shoe.  He has wanted a pair of Heely's for a while so he was excited to try them out.  They didn't work out so well for him.  He fell a few times before he could even get out the door.  Then he fell a few more times at the park. By the time we got home Daniel was more than ready to take the Heely's off never to wear them again. Good thing he could walk on the grass at the park.  It made for a softer landing when he fell--haha!
 Friday was a very busy day!!  Josh had his 6th grade Medieval Feast that they have been working on for a while.  The whole 6th grade is assigned different classes to act out during the feast.  Josh got assigned to be a Lord which meant I had to come up with some sort of Lord costume.  This was the best we could do--a super clearance men's shirt which I cut the collar off and made holes in it to lace up.  I then got a black pillow case and made it in to a vest.  I put it all together with his church pants and some twine. Josh liked it so that's all that mattered, right?!
 Friday Sarah had her 1st grade luau as well.  We had to dress her up in Hawaiian clothes.  I didn't have any so this is as close as she got, but she was still excited to wear it:
 I was able to volunteer at the Medieval Feast as a server which was nice--not many Moms were able to.  Before the feast started all the 6th grade classes walked around the school to show everyone their costumes.  Josh got paired up with a Lady whose name was Hannah.
 During the Feast each class had a different act to perform.  The jesters entertained, the kings tasters tasted the food before it was passed out, the witches performed a poem from Shakespeare, etc.    Everyone else ate while the show was going on.  They had three courses, salad, chicken roll and baked potato and then cake for dessert.  I even got to serve Josh and his partner a few times.
  Towards the end of the feast Josh and his partner got to dance for the Lord and Lady dance.  Here's a small clip of Lords and Ladies dance:
At the end of the dance they let the kids ad lib a bit.  Josh made the most of it in his dance to say the least:
 It was a fun learning experience for everyone. 

I had to leave the Medieval Feast a bit early because Sarah had her first grade luau I wanted to see.  Sarah's eyes were red and puffy due to allergies--poor girl.  I had forgotten to give her the allergy eye drops that morning.  Anyway for the luau the first grade all made leis and grass skirts to wear:
 Then they had a plate of tropical fruit which all the 1st grade families donated:
 As we were waiting for the luau to start this is how Noah passed the time--upside down in a chair while making weird noises.  Awesome....:
 After eating they started the Hukilau Song that they danced to.
 Here's a small clip of their cute dance:
 
 After the Hukilau song they did a fire stick dance.  They had a video clip of a Polynesian guy dancing with a fire stick that they tried to imitate.  It was pretty cute to watch:
I love all the little activities their elementary school does!!

Then that afternoon after school was Sarah's dance dress rehearsal.  She was so excited to get dressed up and to wear makeup.  I love having a girl!:
 Saturday ended up being a beautiful day.  Our backyard has been in need of some serious TLC which we were able to do all day.  Between weeding, mowing, edging, weed eating, bug spraying, weed spraying and trimming of plants there was a lot to get done!  There were so many weeds to pull--ugh!!  I am not one that enjoys yard work so that is why it has taken us a long time to take care of the backyard.  However, I am happy to say that all the flower beds are now weed free which really was an amazing undertaking!!  Hopefully, it will last a while because I don't want to do that anytime soon!  This is just one of the flower beds we had to de-jungle:
 We pulled so many weeds that the next day my hands and finger joints were so stiff, painful and swollen!  Ouch.  Trying to do Sarah's hair for church Sunday morning was killer!
We didn't have too much help from the kids because they played and Josh went to a friend's birthday party.  I view that lack of help with mixed feelings because with the kids, it probably would have taken twice as long to get done, however, with the kids they would have learned how to take care of a yard.  Oh well I am sure this won't be the only experience they will get with taking care of a yard and  pulling weeds....

Sunday morning Matthew surprised Aaron with breakfast in bed.  It was Aaron's birthday and Matthew came up with that idea all on his own which was really sweet!  Sarah and Noah were right there to help Aaron eat his breakfast in bed--funny kids!
 After church we had a yummy Café Rio copy cat dinner which was yummy.  I asked Aaron what kind of birthday cake he wanted and he told me a pudding cake.  Well I had no idea how to make one of those so this cake ended up being a huge experiment.  Look at all those candles:
 Again that's a lot of candles!
Luckily, Aaron blew out all the candles and the cake tasted pretty good which was a good thing.  My pudding cake experiment worked--wahoo! 

I am glad I have Aaron as my husband.  He is a great guy that loves his family and loves spending time with us.  I couldn't have asked for a better husband for Dad!!  He seems to get better with age :).

2 comments:

  1. It looks like there is a huge fire on your counter! :) Hahahahahahahahaha!! Aaron is awesome & I'm glad y'all had good birthday!
    I also love elementary school activities. Especially when I get to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete