"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Monday, March 16, 2015

Another Seizure, Neurology, Legos, Thyroid Study, Date Day, Train Festival, Jazz, Robotics

It's been a busy 10 days!!  To try and catch up here's a few of the things that have been happening in the last 10 days.  Sarah won a $10 gift card to Walmart in a drawing.  She was entered in the drawing because she was so well behaved in library.  Wahoo!!  She was excited to come home and show me what she had won!
 Daniel got his basketball pictures back.  He looks so little, but cute.
 Josh and Matthew on the other hand aren't so little anymore.  They are only about 2 1/2 inches shorter than I am right now.  I don't think it will take them too much longer to pass me by!!
 Noah was 'helping' Sarah do some artwork.  Afterward I noticed that Noah had become the canvas.  Sarah put a big red X right on Noah's forehead.  Awesome!
 Josh got his Herbst appliance out of his mouth and got his bottom braces on.  He couldn't eat any hard foods for a few days afterward because his teeth hurt so much.  Don't worry, though, he made up for lost time after his teeth stopped hurting!!  Speaking of that I have to make, yet another trip to the grocery store today because he has eaten us out of house and home!!  I have no idea where he puts all his food, either because he is so skinny!!
 I was in line at the store the other day when I looked over and saw Noah turning shirt around.  I asked him what he was doing and he told me that the tag in your shirt goes in the back.  Too bad the tag in this shirt was located on the side stitching instead of in the back of the shirt.  He tried turning his shirt around so it would be in the back, but it didn't quite work out for him.  It was hard not to giggle at his attempts, though.

Last Friday we had the Einzingers over for pizza and to play games.  It was an impromptu decision but it was lots of fun.  The kids love spending time together since there is a playmate for each age which works out perfect.  It is nice to let the kids play and have some adult conversation and game playing.

Last Saturday there was a model railroad festival at the Union Station Museum.  Matthew has been asking to go to this ever since he heard about it.  Saturday morning he was up  bright and early decked out in all his train gear (overalls, safety vest, glasses, hat, etc.) waiting for Aaron to take him.
 He was beside himself with excitement upon seeing all the different model trains.  There was A LOT of hand flapping and squealing going on.  Matthew was in heaven!!
 A few of the train operators made sure to have the train whistle as it went by Matthew.  That made his day!
 They even had a train ride meant for kids in the parking lot.  Matthew wanted to ride it so much that he squeezed himself into the train car.  He was so excited that he didn't mind that his knees were at his mouth level!
While Aaron was at the Train festival with Matthew on Saturday we had a friend come by and fix our kitchen faucet.  Wahoo!!  It is so nice to have a working faucet now that doesn't spray down the whole kitchen every time you turn it on.    The best part about it was that the original faucet had a lifetime guarantee so the fix and replacement didn't cost a thing!!  Wahoo again!!

Monday night Daniel supposedly had a basketball game.  We decided that would be our family home evening activity after a quick lesson.  Well we got the whole family over to the Jr. High where the game was supposed to be at only to find they had double scheduled the time and Daniel's team wasn't going to play that night.  Wow, when Matthew found out he got upset.  He was really worried that we weren't going to have an FHE activity so we had to think fast.  Luckily we drove over to check out how G&G T's new house was coming along just to appease Matthew.  Wow that kid is so attached to schedules!  That seemed to calm him down for a bit, but he still wasn't too happy.  Their house is coming along really well, though.

Tuesday night was Daniel's Jazz game.  By being part of the Jr. Jazz city basketball he got a ticket to attend a Jazz basketball game.  Aaron was able to get three more tickets so he could take Josh, Sarah and himself along, too.  It was a fun night.
 They got to play all the little games they had for the fans.  Here's Sarah trying to make a basket:
 Sarah and Daniel won a prize.  Unfortunately it was a poster of the scantily clad Jazz girls.  When Daniel saw what the prize was he didn't feel comfortable having it since the Jazz girls weren't dressed very modestly so he and Sarah decided to get rid of them.
 They were able to see a live news broadcast from the Delta Center:
 A hot dog dinner was included with each ticket.  The kids loved it!
 The seats were at the very top of the arena, but the kids didn't care.

 It was a really fun night.  They didn't get home until about 10:30 pm.  When they did get home there was a lack of communication between Aaron and me.  I thought Aaron had medicated the kids and he thought I had medicated them.  We didn't figure this out until the next morning when Daniel was frantically waking me up at 6:15 telling me Josh was having a seizure.  I ran downstairs and sure enough he was.  Josh had fallen off his bed and had gotten his head wedged between his bed and desk.  I quickly tried to move him which was hard because he is getting so big.  Aaron was already at work so I had to move him on my own.  After much pulling I was able to scoot him away from his desk and bed, but not before he bruised up the back of his head.  All in all the seizure lasted about 2 minutes, but those were some of the longest 2 minutes!!  I feel bad for Daniel because it really scares him to see Josh like that.  Hey it scares me to see Josh like that, but I can't let it show because it would really freak Daniel out if he saw I was really upset, too.  It took Josh about an hour to come around after the seizure.  He didn't have any idea what had happened except he said he had a headache.   After I got all the kids to school I called neurology to let them know what happened and to see what they wanted to do.  Unfortunately, the way their system operates I had to leave a message with a receptionist who supposedly gets the message to the doctor who then leaves a message with the receptionist who lets me know.  This system doesn't work very well to say the least.  I didn't hear back from them all day Wednesday so I called back Thursday morning and did the same thing.  Luckily they got back to me at lunch time and told me they wanted to get a Trileptal level drawn on Josh ASAP to see what his medication level is in his blood.  I took him as soon as he got home from school Thursday afternoon.  He was not happy about it, but he let them draw his blood.  Sarah was just glad it was anyone, but her getting their blood drawn!
Unfortunately, the weekend happened and I didn't hear back from neurology about the results so I called again this morning and am just waiting for someone to call me back.  I am a little frustrated, but trying to be patient.  It just makes me really nervous because this is how Josh's seizures started getting way out of control 5 years ago and I don't want that to happen again.  I really don't want another ambulance transport and hospital stay if we can help it.  So I guess I will just keep calling daily until I hear back....The squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?!  The scary thing is we just upped his dose about a month ago so he shouldn't be that sensitive that missing one dose should set him off.  Anyway, I will hopefully hear back from the pediatric neurologist today so I can know what to do.
 
Lately Aaron and I have been under some major stress between work, church and family things have been pretty crazy the last few months.  We both needed a break.  Thankfully, G&G T were willing to help us out.  Aaron had his yearly Neurology visit down in Utah county Friday afternoon so we decided to have a date day.  After getting the kids to school and G&G T coming over to watch Noah we went down and did some sealings in the Salt Lake Temple.  That temple will always have special meaning to us since that is where our eternal family started almost 15 years ago.  We did some family names and some temple file names, too.  Then afterward we spent some time in the celestial room.  It was a nice, quiet break from the busy-ness of life.  After that we had lunch at the Spaghetti Factory.  We used to eat here a lot when we were dating.  The Spinach Tortellini with Alfredo Sauce is still quite delicious!

 After lunch we headed to Aaron's neurology appointment.  Thankfully Aaron has gone 16 years being seizure free after being on medication so he is a pretty easy patient.  Just a normal neurological check up, refill of his meds and signing off on his driver's license we were on our way again.  We then went over to Trafalga in Lehi to have some fun.  We spent a little while playing some arcade games.  There was a dance game that I didn't do very well at so Aaron thought it would be funny to take my picture.  Thanks, buddy!
We did some laser tag, too: 
We also did some outdoor mini golf because it was such a beautiful day!
 
After that we grabbed a quick dinner at Skippers fish house which Aaron was a good sport about since he is not a fish lover.  It was so yummy, though!  Then it was time to come home.  It was such a fun and needed day out away from our stresses.  Too bad we had to come back so soon :)!!  Oh well it was a much needed break which we were blessed to get.
 
Saturday Noah and I had our annual Thyroid Study appointment.  When I was pregnant with Noah my thyroid was on the low end of normal.  It wasn't low enough to treat, but still low.  The doctor signed me up to be part of a study that followed pregnant moms with low end of normal thyroid levels for five years.  They wanted to see if having lower end of normal thyroid levels had an effect on the baby's IQ.  That meant Noah has been seen for the last five years at the U of U for an IQ test.  It is crazy, but this was the last year of the study for Noah since he will be turning 5 next month.  Since we were going down to Salt Lake we decided to make a day of it with all the kids, too.  After Noah's IQ test and my blood draw we headed out for a day on the town.  We went over to Fashion Place Mall in Murray since they were having a the Lego Americana Show where ten of the nation's most prominent United States buildings made of Legos are on display.  The exhibit did not disappoint, either!  While we were walking around looking at the different exhibits, we passed by a Claire's store.  Aaron has been wanting to get Sarah's ears pierced for a long time.  He caught me at a weak moment and we along with Sarah decided to get her ears pierced.  She was pretty brave, too.  She crawled right up in the seat to get her ears done.

 Noah was sure she was going to scream so he kept his ears plugged.
 Sarah did a lot better with it than I thought she would.  She didn't even cry.

 The rest of the day she made sure to show everyone her newly pierced ears.
 We did look at the rest of the Lego exhibit after getting Sarah's ears pierced.  They had Mount Rushmore:
 The Lincoln Memorial:
 They even had Lincoln inside his memorial, too:
 The Supreme Court:
 They even had Lego fountains inside of the display which all the kids wanted to see.  Daniel had to be lifted up because he's just a little guy.




 The Capital Building was really neat:
 Here's the info about the Capital Building saying it took a team of 8 master builders 1700 hours to complete:


 The Liberty Bell.  All the kids were curious as to what the bottom looked like so they all took a peak:

 Afterward we had a cheap lunch at Sam's Club.  However, one hot dog wasn't enough for all the kids.  Everyone had to get a second hot dog, but me to get their belly full.  I have no idea where all the kids put all the food they eat!!  While we were there they were doing a health screening that Aaron and I signed up for.  Unfortunately while they were doing mine and Aaron's blood pressure and blood draw Sam's Club decided to have a fire alarm test.  Since both Aaron and I were stuck in our seats, no one was around to help calm Matthew down when the alarm went of.  Wow he really got upset.  The alarm only went off for 30 seconds, but it really bothered Matthew.  Afterward Matthew went around and asked every Sam's Club employee if there was a fire.  It was pretty crazy!  Here's my vision test and Matthew covering his ears in case they decide to do another fire alarm test.
 After lunch we headed over to the Maverik Center where there was a high school robotics competition.
 Different high schools from around the state designed a robot that could stack boxes and garbage cans for points in a contest.  It doesn't sound very interesting, but it was.  It was fun to watch how each school's robot was designed to do different things.  Noah was Daniel's buddy and would only share a seat with Daniel:
 Aaron took Josh and Daniel around the different school's displays so they could see how everything worked.
 Noah got bored after a few minutes and decided to play on the chairs where he got stuck:
 It was a very busy day and on the way home everyone fell asleep except Daniel and me:
 When we got home it was time to put kids to bed.  As I was tucking Sarah in I noticed her tooth was extremely loose.  I brought her back to Aaron since I HATE teeth so he could take care of it.  Unfortunately it was a little more attached then Aaron had thought so it took a bit of wrestling to get it out.  In all that wrestling they lost the tooth somewhere in the couch--DOH!!  After 20 minutes of searching we still couldn't find it so I told Sarah to just write the Tooth Fairy a note which she did.  The note said, "I lost my tooth in the couch. please give me munny, please!"  She was pretty worried she wasn't going to get her money.
 Luckily the Tooth Fairy was on the ball that night and actually came and didn't forget--Wahoo!  Here's her reply to Sarah's note:
 Since we were so busy the whole weekend we missed out on movie night.  We decided to do it Sunday night instead.  Daniel was Josh's buddy:
 Speaking of Sunday we had a bit of a surprise.  I was in Young Women during the last hour of the three hour block when Noah's primary teacher opened the door.  I was wondering what was going on when she told me that Noah had barfed in primary.  Awesome.  I quickly grabbed my stuff and headed over to find him.  He was in the women's bathroom getting washed off by one of the primary presidency.  They had gotten Aaron, too.  Since they didn't know where I was it took them longer to find me so Aaron got there first.  Since Noah needed help Aaron had to walk into the women's restroom to help him--poor guy!  As soon as I showed up Aaron left the restroom and headed over to the janitor's closet to get the supplies to clean it up.  GROSS!!  Luckily, it was a very small amount so it didn't take long to clean up.  After that Aaron took Noah and me home since we only had one car at church he had to return to pick up the other kids after church got out to bring them home, too.  Noah laid around for about 20 minutes and then got his energy back and started jumping off the couch.  Daniel looked at me and said, "Um Mom, if Noah is sick should he be doing that?"  I said no, but what can you do?!  Luckily he hasn't had a problem since and no one else has either.  I am just hoping it was a random puking....Weird!

Speaking of Noah Aaron and I were at lunch the other day when Noah got his groove on.  He liked the song the place was playing and started dancing until he realized we were recording him.  He is so funny!
Anyway after all the craziness we have had lately I find this meme rather fitting for my crazy family:
However, I wouldn't mind a few less 'adventures' once in a while, though :).

1 comment:

  1. Wow rebecca! You gotta tell me how you find all of these exciting events to attend! How do you know about robotics competitions and Lego exhibits and all that other stuff? You guys exhaust me with all your fun adventures! Good for you--your kiddos are lucky to have such a fun mom and dad to take them all these places! And good luck finding out about Josh. I hope he's fine now!

    ReplyDelete