"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Parenting Funnies, Science Saturday, Crushed Ventricle...

We hardly have dull moments around our house.  Take for example this awesome conversation we had at the dinner table on Sunday (this is from Aaron's point of view):

Tonight at dinner, Noah was being a bit of a brat.  Since he is the youngest, Rebecca has always spoiled him a bit.

Me (to Rebecca):  Since you created this monster, you get to deal with him!
Josh (10): No, Dad, you created him also.
Me:  No way!!  I am the enforcer.  I don't spoil him!
Daniel (8):  No, you made him, too!  Remember you read us THAT book?  We KNOW you and Mom made him!!

I must say we had a small talk about the birds and the bees along with a children's book to help...um... illustrate a few things to Josh and Daniel about a year ago.  We never heard much about it during the talk or after from those two.  We just assumed they didn't pay attention like they do with most things mom and dad say.  However, judging by this conversation it appears they picked up on more than we thought.  At least now they all know I didn't create this Noah monster on my own, right?!  Haha!  Even though I try, sometimes, I wonder if I am failing in the parenting department.... :O**sigh**. 

Sarah is still trying to get back to her pre sickness Sarah energy.  She tires out more easily--poor thing.  For example on Friday she had a birthday party she went to.  After the party she went to a friend's house to play for a bit.  By the time she got home she immediately fell asleep as soon as she cuddled up next to Aaron.  She was worn out--Aaron didn't mind, though.  In addition she has lost a ton of weight.  All of her clothes are really baggy on her.  I hope she gets her appetite back soon.  She usually can keep pace with her brothers if you can believe it and that is saying a lot!
 Saturday was Science Saturday at Weber State University.  It is a free program for the community to get kids more interested in science.  They have it twice a month and we took the opportunity and went Saturday.  The kids love it.  First they got to learn about the different parts of a flower.  Then they got to look at the different parts under a microscope.  After they got to pick out a flower to take home and explore further.  Four kids picked out a red rose and the other kid picked a white tulip.  When we walked out of the classroom Aaron turned to me, handed me all five flowers and then jokingly said, "Here you go.  Does this get me off the hook for Valentine's Day?"  I said, "Ummmm, no!!"  What a dork--good thing I love him, though.
 Next we went to the station about different rock types.  After learning about the different rock types (metamorphic, sedimentary, igneous, etc.) they got to make their own sedimentary rocks.  They got a water bottle and filled it with sand, rocks and Plaster of Paris.  After a good shaking we got to bring them home and watch during the next week how the sludge in the water bottle will solidify and turn into a sedimentary rock--at least that's what it supposed to do.  With five kids to supervise/help at the same time I don't know if we got all the proportions correct inside the water bottle.  I guess that will be another experiment to see if it actually hardens or remains watery.
 Next we tried going to the station about the heart.  They had a bunch of cardboard boxes stuck together and set up in the anatomical shape of your heart.  You could crawl through the boxes pretending you were going through the heart's atriums and ventricles and follow the pathway the blood takes. It looked interesting.  There was a line so we had to wait our turn to crawl through the boxes.  After a few minutes Matthew got tired of standing in line waiting for his turn.  He decided to sit down and rest for a bit.  Unfortunately, he decided to sit on top of one of the 'ventricle' boxes which ended up collapsing it and tearing it away from the other boxes.  Whoops!  The workers in charge of the heart station were not happy.  I quickly got Matthew out of the classroom before he could sit on anything else.  Afterward they had to close down the heart station in order to repair the crushed box.  It took them a good 20 minutes to put the heart back together again.  It was a little embarrassing, but what can you do?  We decided to skip the heart station after that mishap...

We next went and watched a movie about the mythology behind the Orion constellation in the planetarium dome theater.  We had fun and even tried to get a family selfie, but it's hard trying to fit seven people in a picture at the same time.  Here's our attempt:
 After the movie we went and visited the museum.  The kids got to try and do a crayon rubbing of the fossil:
Noah tried to do a crayon rubbing only he forgot the paper and only did the crayon rubbing all over the fossil.  I love my kids, I love my kids, I love my kids.....

Here we are checking out the museum:
 As you can see Noah was more than ready to go home at this point.  We had fun together and was glad to get out as a family even with the craziness our kids bring.

In other things Noah refuses to take naps and has for a while.  He insists that he is not tired.  However, I tend not to believe him most times.  Yesterday I sat down to do Sarah's reading homework with her.  Noah quickly crawled up in my lap and, seriously, within two minutes I was hearing snoring.  He was completely passed out.  Maybe he was tired or maybe it was the exciting book (and yes I am being very sarcastic) about Sis and Nan that Sarah was reading that put him to sleep.  Those beginning reader books are just torture to listen to.  Maybe that makes me a bad mom, but I have a hard time with those beginning reading books.  I know the kids have to start somewhere, but that is pretty boring stuff!!  Anyone else feel the same?  Of course I don't let on my true feelings to Sarah, but wow, I really dislike those books.  It makes it especially bad when I have already gone through these same books four times and still have one more kid to go through them with **sigh**.  Anyway, who knows what put the poor kid to sleep, but I have my suspicions!
 I don't know what it is about this house's fireplace, but the kids insist on having it on a lot!!  We had one in our last house, but rarely used it.  Whatever it is about this one the kids love it!  As soon as Josh gets up in the morning he turns it on and snuggles up to it.  As soon as the kids get home from school they turn it on and sit by it.  Noah just following in his siblings examples he woke up this morning and turned it on himself.  He was pretty proud of himself.  He got all nice a comfy right next to the fire this morning.  What a crazy kid!!
 Daniel loves to show us the stuff he does in school.  Here's his latest masterpiece:
It is the Mona Lisa if you can't tell.  I love it.  I love the kids artwork!!  They are so fun at this age!  Daniel is quite proud of this one, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment