"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Morning with Mom, Old Pictures, Emotional Girls.....

This weekend was so cold and snowy.  Because of the freezing cold we ended up not going out too much this past weekend.  We did make it to the grocery store for some odds and ends, though.  We even got to bring the whole family along with us.  I guess that is always some excitement--trying to shop with seven people....Anyway, as I was parking I had to tell Sarah no to something she wanted.  Oh my goodness--she threw quite the tantrum.  I can definitely tell she is more emotional than the boys have ever been.  I don't know if it's a girl thing or just a Sarah thing, but there's definitely more emotion extremes with her.  Sarah screamed and cried the whole way into the store.  It was bad.  When we first walked into the store with the tantruming Sarah, a lady came over to me.  I always cringe when strangers come over to talk to me while my kids are screaming.  They always seem to offer very unwanted advice at the time.  Anyway, the lady then proceeded to tell me that her and her husband had two little boys and she was desperately trying to talk him into trying for a girl.  She then told me that we weren't helping her cause as she motioned to a still screaming and crying Sarah.  My immediate thought was, "Why, thank you for making me feel even more embarrassed about my screaming child".  I was at a loss for words.  I think I said something like, "Well....um.....that's too bad?  Sorry about that...."  People can say the most interesting things sometimes....
 
While we were in the grocery store I happened to spot some corn dogs that were Daniel friendly.  Since Daniel is on such a crazy diet with him being a picky eater and with all his food allergies when I find something new he can eat I get excited.  Daniel was excited, too, to have the chance to try some corn dogs since his siblings seem to like them.  I bought them and we were going to let the kids have that for dinner that night when we got home.  Later on when it came time for dinner I went out to the freezer in the garage to find the corn dogs.  Since Noah is always attached to me at the hip and follows me anywhere I go, he followed me out to the garage as well.  I saw he didn't have a coat on so I told him to go back inside.  I didn't hear anything else from him so I assumed he had gone back inside.  I found the corn dogs in the freezer and took them inside then closed the big car garage bay door.  While in the kitchen I pulled out a few corn dogs and put them in the oven to bake.  This had taken me awhile since all of them were individually wrapped and I had to unwrap them all.  When the corn dogs were in the oven I went to take the box back outside to the freezer.  When I walked into the garage I heard some faint crying.  It was then I realized that Noah had not gone back inside when I had asked him to, but had gone out into the front yard to play in the snow sans his coat.  I didn't know he was out there so when I closed the garage bay door, I had locked him out--poor kid.  It was only 10 degrees outside, too.  I hurried and opened the door and he was so glad to see me.  I am just glad he wasn't out there for longer.  As it was his poor face and hands were so red and his nose was just running.  Good thing I had to go back outside in the garage otherwise I don't know how long he could have been stranded outside for--poor kid. 
 
Last Thursday morning at Josh, Daniel and Sarah's school they had a Morning With Moms day.  Of course I had forgotten about it until after Matthew had left for school.  Things in the morning are pretty crazy until Matthew gets on the bus, but that's just life.  Anyway, after Matthew left I was getting everyone else ready for school when Daniel reminded me that it was morning with moms.  Oh dear,  I was in desperate need of a shower, but there was no time.  I had 15 minutes to get four kids and myself ready and get them to school.  That 15 minutes also included packing lunches, combing hair, brushing teeth, getting Noah dressed (just getting him dressed you need at least 15 minutes because he is octopus boy who doesn't sit still), finding coats, shoes, anyway you get the idea....I am amazed to say that we made it only a few minutes late.  It was nice to enjoy some donuts with my kiddos and look around at their classrooms.  Of course we had to take a picture, but with so many of us we had to squish together.  That is why Noah is crying because he was getting most of the squishing or maybe it was because I hadn't showered yet and he had to be extra close to me.  It was a fun morning even if I had to put off my much needed shower a little longer.
 Josh was making something last week that needed eggs.  Now I have Josh crack the eggs in a bowl before he puts them in the batter--it makes getting the shells out of the yolk a little easier.  He cracked a second egg into the bowl that happened to have two yolks in it.  He was so surprised he took a bazillion pictures of it with my phone.  Here's one picture among many:
He told me I had to put it on the blog so here it is.

 I was reading the comics the other day and ran across this one from Baby Blues:
 If you are anything like me this becomes a very standard phrase in our house that, unfortunately, turns out to be a 'no' 99% of the time and, yes, the kids have picked up on that.

Daniel decided it was time to empty his pockets a few days ago.  That kid is 100% boy.  He had all kinds of stuff crammed into pockets as you can see:
And just like a boy he emptied his pockets and then left the huge mess right where he emptied it.  Sigh--I don't think my house will ever be spotless until my kids move out.  Oh well we are enjoying the ride right now, though, even if my house is not the cleanest.

 Josh loves to cook.  He helped make these sugar cookie bars the other day.  Unfortunately, Noah does not like the cookie part he only likes the frosting part.  Every chance of those lack of supervision moments he gets, he goes to town on the frosting.  You can see his little fingers marks all over the top of the bars.  He knows he shouldn't be doing that either because when he gets caught he gets the most guilty smile on  his face.
 Good thing he's cute.
My parents gave me a box of old pictures at Thanksgiving that I have been going through.  The kids have liked seeing them as well.  It is hard for them to think about me having a life before I got married or had kids.  I thought I would add a few just for fun:
 
Here's a family picture that was taken when I was only a month old:
 Here's a family picture with the very first grandchild in our family:
 A random family picnic--I am the one in  pink with the sweet hat on:
 Good old high school graduation:
 My dad would take me on motorcycle rides all the time.  Here's a picture taken on top of a mountain of us after we stopped for a break:
 Here's the kids' picture.  I am the one with the red coat on:
 I don't know how old I was in this picture:
 Birthday party picture:
 After hiking to a water fall with my brother and my parents:
 An old picture of my mom with my siblings.  I am the one with the sweet rainbow shirt on:
I was not a fan of Santa at two years old:
 Here's the dreaded chicken pox:
 Here's my kindergarten picture.  My mom had spent all morning doing my hair.  However, all that hard work was undone when I decided to run to school to catch up with my friend and messed it all up.
 I guess this just shows that kids of any age can be little stinkers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, you're not the only one with a sweet hat on at that picnic--your mom's and especially Bryan's are pretty sa-weet too! :) Ha! I love these old pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old pictures! Especially the Kindergarten one - adorable! Also, I love the Noah marks in the cookie frosting! Oh kids! :)

    ReplyDelete