"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with special needs doesn't take a special family, it makes a special family."--Author Unknown

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Craziness, Summer, Blessings, Date, Family Day, Anniversary

The other day I was on the computer and Sarah wanted to color.  She finished what she was coloring and came to show me.  She put them on her face and said, "Look Mom I have eye brows!  Haha take a picture of me!"  She stood there and wasn't about to move until I took a picture of her.  She was quite proud of her home made eye brows.
 
We finally got our broken window fixed, but not before Noah quietly snuck upstairs and threw handfuls of Legos outside the hole in the window.  Now we have some nice Lego pieces on our roof and in our gutter.  Awesome....
The company that came out to fix the window gave me a call at 9 am Thursday morning.  They set up an appointment to fix the window saying that they would come sometime before noon.  Seeing as I had not showered yet, I quickly got in the shower thinking I still had plenty of time to get dressed.  Boy was I WRONG!!  I had stepped out of the shower and had just put on my bathrobe to answer the phone when I heard the doorbell.  Aaron was on the phone so I had to tell him I couldn't talk while I was running to my bedroom to get some clothes on.  I had enough time to throw on a shirt and pants (no time for underwear) and run to answer the door.  My hair was sopping wet and I had not bra on so I kept my arms folded while I walked them upstairs to show them the window.  When they started working I ran back to my bedroom to get dressed.  I had just finished getting dressed (this time with underwear) when they were done.  They were fast!!  Anyway, it was embarrassing, but I am hoping we don't have to see the window repairmen again anytime soon.  Oh the craziness!!

Sarah started Little Rookies.  It is a starter class offered by our City's recreation department to teach the basics of baseball/t-ball.  She was so excited to go.  She was even more excited to come home and show me her new shirt and baseball cap.
 Since it was the last week of school there were lots of programs for the kids.  Josh had his fourth grade County Fair.  He got to display his float of Morgan County and answer questions for people as they walked by to see all the floats.
After the float display was over the fourth grade went outside on the front steps of the school to perform their history of Utah program.  Here's Josh walking out with his class.  He is getting so tall and he LOVES flip flops if you can't tell.
 During the program this is how Noah kept himself entertained by trying to look at me upside down between his legs.  That lasted until he tipped over and hurt his head.  Poor kid!
The fourth grade have been working on these songs for a long time (the whole program was about 40 minutes).  Josh would come home and try and sing them for us, but he would forget some of the words.  He was excited to finally show us all the songs his class had been working on.  This clip-it is one of his favorite songs:
 That afternoon it was Sarah's dance recital.  She was so excited to get dressed up and to wear makeup.  Here she is talking to Grandpa T.  I can't believe how long her hair has gotten!
She was so excited for her dance recital she even let me do her hair without crying about it.  It was great.  Here she is right before her performance:
Here she is walking out on to the stage with her class.  She is the fourth one from the right.  You can hear all her brothers cheering for her and me and Aaron. 
Afterward she got some pretty flowers from her Daddy.  Have I mentioned that I LOVE having a girl?!
 We are still trying to work with Matthew to see how to help him.  Unfortunately this comes through a lot of trial and error.  Last week I had asked the kids to clean up and Matthew didn't want to so he went over and kicked a hole in the wall.  SIGH!!  He can be so difficult sometimes, but so sweet other times.  For example this morning he swept the kitchen floor for me before I got out of bed so he could surprise me.  However, it is not all roses as you can see by the huge hole I now have in my wall:
Thursday afternoon Matthew got a Herbst appliance from the orthodontist.  The poor kid inherited my overbite so they are trying to fix it with this gizmo:
 Every night I have to tighten it one turn to bring his jaw forward by a millimeter.  We have to turn it for the next 20 nights.  He can eat with it, but it seems to be uncomfortable for him.  After he got it on by the time we got home he started asking when we could get it taken off.  Unfortunately it is in there for the long haul (2+ years).  He is slowly learning how to eat with it, but he is not enjoying it at all.  It is going to be a LONG 2+ years!!  Coming out of the orthodontist's office I noticed our tires on the Suburban.  We knew we would have to replace them soon, but were hoping to wait until the end of summer to do so.  Unfortunately I noticed you could see the metal sticking out of the front tire because it was so bare.  DOH!!!  I came home and told Aaron to make the tire appointment for the next day and I would take it in.  Aaron made the appointment at 10 and I took it in.  Unfortunately they didn't have the right tires in that we had ordered.  To compensate they gave us an upgrade at the same price.  So we got super nice tires for a very much cheaper price.  Oh it's the little blessings in life that are awesome.  We are truly trying to save our money due to the upcoming furlough and this just helped a bunch.  We were really counting our blessings!!

Here is Sarah at her Rookies class.  There was only one pink bat so she made sure she got the pink one.  I don't think there was much competition for it since she is only one of two girls in the class of 17.  What a funny girly girl!
 Saturday was Aaron and my 13th wedding anniversary.  Wow a lot has happened in 13 years!!  Here is a picture from our wedding day and all I can say is who are these young kids?!  Wow 5 kids really age you that's for sure!!  However, I wouldn't choose any other way.  As crazy as our lives are we like it!
To celebrate we had a family day.  Hill Air Force Base had a 'Families with Special Needs' day up at Camp Kostopulous in Emigration Canyon.  We got there around 9:45 am and split into groups to enjoy the activities.  Our first activity was fishing.  Again there was only one pink fishing pole that Sarah made sure she got.
 Noah insisted on fishing just like his siblings.  Side note is we couldn't find Noah's regular shoes by the time we were supposed to leave our house.  We could only find his church shoes so that's what the poor kid had to wear all day.  He didn't seem to mind.....
 Aaron and I didn't fish because it was a full time job trying to help our kids keep their fishing lines baited and untangled!  It was pretty crazy keeping up with all the kids so one of the counselors stepped in to help Matthew when he needed some help.
 Josh and Daniel like fishing.
 Josh was the only lucky one of our bunch who caught a fish.  It was a pretty small fry, but he was excited none the less.  Here they are catch and release so after he caught it and looked at it, the fish got thrown back in the water.
 Next was the ropes course.  Sarah decided to try the rock wall and got about 10 feet high until she was done climbing.
 Matthew didn't want to climb, but he is a fraidy cat about a lot of things.  I told him he could choose one activity--the rock wall or the higher up ropes course.  He chose the rock wall and climbed pretty well with LOTS of encouragement.  It was not his favorite activity, but he tried it which was good.
 Daniel tried the rock wall as well.
 Josh the family dare devil wanted to do the actual ropes course.  He climbed up the poles and hooked himself in and walked across the narrow ropes.  He did really well.
 When he was done with the ropes course he took turn on the rock wall.
 Next activity was lunch.  After lunch it was our turn to go swimming.  Noah didn't want to get in the water so he just sat by Aaron on the bench and sang him Primary songs.  Aaron loved listening to Noah sing.
 The rest of us got out in the water to play.
 After swimming it was off to the Equestrian center.  Josh is extremely allergic to horses.  Before we even got there we made sure he had some allergy medication on board.  However, it didn't work too well.  We let him ride first and he had fun, but by the time he was done riding he was sneezing up a storm.  He was all congested as well making his sneezes 'double barrel' if you know what I mean.  As soon as he got off the horse he made a beeline to grab some Kleenex to wipe his double barrel action off his nose.  I asked him how he liked it and he said, "I just tried to enjoy the moment."  Here he is enjoying the moment:
 Matthew LOVED the horses.  They were probably his most favorite activity!
 Daniel LOVED riding the horses as well.
 Sarah loved it, too.
 Noah saw all his siblings ride a horse so he made sure he got a turn as well.  He was concentrating so hard on holding on to the horse that he barely looked at me so I could take his picture.  HE LOVED IT!  It was funny to watch him because he was so little.
I even got a turn.  I got on and rode around with Daniel.  It was really fun.

After Family Day at Camp Kostopolous was over we took the kids down to G&G T's house for a sleepover.  After we dropped the kids off Aaron and I headed out to go on an actual date to celebrate our anniversary.  We went to a bookstore to browse.  Then we grabbed some yummy dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory which was a favorite of mine while we were dating.  We then used our Pass of All Passes to do some track racing.  Here we are in the same car:
 Can I just say Aaron is a scary driver?!  He ran into the guy in front of us making him wreck and block the track for all the other riders.  It was a little embarrassing, but fun nonetheless.  And Aaron wonders why I do all the regular driving in the Suburban....;)

Next we did some laser tag.  It was a competition to see who could get the most points.  We tied, but Aaron got a higher accuracy score so he thinks he won--I think a tie is a tie no matter what, RIGHT?! Who is with me here? ;)
 We then did some mini golf which Aaron completely killed me at.

Next we did some rock climbing.  Here's me at the top:
 We got back to G&G T's house after our super fun date around midnight.  Unfortunately Josh's clock in his bedroom was wrong.  Josh's clock said 7 am, but it was really 5:30 am.  He got up thinking it was 7am and woke everyone else up.  However, it was only 5:30 DOH!!  However, once all the kids are awake there is no sleeping for anyone.  Whoa, were we all tired.  About 8 am we packed all of our stuff up and came back home because we had to go to church at 11am.  Let me just say we were all 'Chuckles'.  Our whole family was as ornery as you can be.  After church the kids had a quick nap and then we headed over to Uncle Bryan and Aunt Michonne's house for an impromptu Father's Day dinner.  The kids had lots of fun playing with their cousins.  There are some awesome Dads in our family is all I can say!!  However, by the time it was to come home everyone was exhausted and ready for bed (especially Aaron and me!!!)

The next morning was the first summer day with no school.  The three oldest had Kids in the Park.  It was a field trip day where they headed over to the movie theater to see Despicable Me.  They had lots of fun and now I can say summer is in full swing.
However, Aaron and I are still trying to recover after all the craziness of last week....

No comments:

Post a Comment