Noah has discovered the bar stool and how it can help him get into things out of his reach--DOH!! The other day I bought some grapes. I washed them off in the colander and put them on the counter to dry. Every time my back was turned I found Noah was on top of the counter eating the grapes by fistfuls. He LOVES grapes, but I HATE all the diapers I have to change the next day! Needless to say the grapes lasted all of a few hours before they were gone. The diapers didn't last long the next day either.
When he is not getting into the grapes with the bar stool he is getting into the pantry. I keep all the snack/treat stuff on the top shelf to keep it away from the little kids, however, I may need to rethink my strategy. Don't let his innocent face fool you! He is truly a stinker! He's learned from the best, his older brothers and Sarah have taught him well.A few weeks ago our home teachers came by for an unexpected visit. Usually our one home teacher just brings his wife to visit. This time he brought his actual companion. Of course since he is new he had to get the scrutiny of five kids' eyes. He is a nice guy, but his hair is gray and is about chin length. When they walked in Matthew asked our usual home teacher if this other guy was his dad. Now seeing as they are both about the same age that made things a little awkward. When they sat down and started visiting with us, we started talking about something that Josh thought was boring. He sighed quite audibly and then said, "Can we change the subject NOW?" That was a little embarrassing, too. Interestingly enough we found out that this new home teaching companion is actually a trades teacher at the local Jr. High. We also found out that he works with some of the special education students, too. That means that Matthew might be having him for one of his teachers next year when he starts Jr. High. Hopefully the poor guy didn't get too offended by being at our house and being asked if he his companion's dad. Good thing I love my kids because they can sure say some crazy things sometimes.
At Josh and Daniel's school they have an angel tree by the office. The tree's ornaments have different items you can purchase to help needy families for their Christmas. Josh and Daniel decided to pick up an ornament one day. Josh's ornament came home, but Daniel's ornament got lost somewhere in the half block between the school and home. When they got home Josh's ornament said Legos. I asked Daniel what his said and he thought it said men's body wash. The next day when we went to pick up the stuff, I asked Daniel again about what his ornament said just to make sure I got it right. Our conversation went like this:
ME "So Daniel your ornament said men's body wash?"
Daniel: "I don't know mom. You know I can't read!"
Well that's just awesome. Some poor family will be waiting to get who knows what because Daniel can't remember what his ornament said. We ended up stopping by the school office to see what we were actually supposed to get. That's when we found out that it probably was body wash since they are just gathering items for the local family shelter. Maybe next year if the kids want to pick up an ornament I might go with them to make sure I know for sure what I am supposed to get.
Last week Matthew had a check up from his psychiatrist. We have been struggling a little the last few weeks with Matthew's behaviors, but we wanted to wait until our new insurance kicked in at the new year before we saw her. However, she doesn't like to go more than six months without seeing him so her office called us and we weren't able to wait to the new year. We had an appointment last week to see her. She changed up Matthew's medicine, but until our new insurance kicks in the medication is outrageously expensive. We told her that so she said it was ok to wait to fill the new prescription until our new insurance kicks in the beginning in January. With our new insurance they will cover more of our medication expenses which will be nice, but until we can start his new medication we are about to pull our hair out...
Two Sundays ago we had the Priesthood Preview meeting with Matthew. It is so crazy to me that he will be turning 12 next year and will be going into young men and will be able to pass the sacrament. The priesthood preview was nice. I don't know how much Matthew got from it, but hopefully he can make a smooth transition in August. The young mens program won't know what hit them in August that's for sure!!
A few weeks ago Josh and Daniel's school had a Mornings with Mom. It's where you can go to school early with your kids. You bring a book to read with them and they provide donuts. Since I didn't have anyone to watch the two younger kids it was a family affair. We left for school right after Matthew left on the bus. Our neighbor girl didn't have anyone to go with so we invited to come along with us. Once we got there it was mass pandemonium. Josh took off straight away for the donut line. The rest of us looked for a spot to read a book. Once we sat down and got settled I tried to start reading the book. The kids were squirming in my lap and Josh and Daniel were busy looking at other things. Jenna, the neighbor girl that came with us, decided she'd had enough and got up to go to class with her friend. Josh went back for seconds, thirds and fourths with the donuts which I tried to stop him, but of course, he was pretending he couldn't hear me. By the time we had gotten a few pages into the book the bell rang and everyone scattered everywhere. I walked Daniel and Josh to class then waited 20 minutes for Sarah's preschool class to start. Then Noah and I came home to relish a quiet house for two hours before we had to pick up Sarah again. It was a fun morning, but I am glad it only comes once a year. I was worn out by the time Noah and I got back home.
Last Saturday we went to the Union Station Museums for fun. They had a pretty Christmas Tree up with three different trains assembled under it. You could push the buttons to see them start up. Matthew was in heaven--trains and buttons to push. It was all we could do to get him away from it to see the museums!
Here they are checking out the rail car set up. Noah saw his brothers climb up the ladder and decided to climb up to. Hey he's had lots of experience with stuff like this at home--how much different could it be than climbing a bar stool, right?! He thinks he is a big boy like all his siblings.
Here they are checking out an interesting train car of some sort.
Noah, in true boy fashion, found rocks and had to throw them. It seems to be an inborn boy thing--must throw rocks....whenever they see them even if there are lots of people around that he might hit.
Josh and Daniel found these hard hats. I think Josh is trying his best Napoleon Dynamite impression.
Daniel was sweet enough to lift Noah up so he could see the model train go by.
While we were there we had a surprise visit from Santa. Everyone got a chance to sit down and chit chat with him. They also keep giving Santa new things they want, too. I am sure Santa is really confused now about what to bring these kids!
Sarah's turn:Josh's turn:
Noah's turn--he had to do it because everyone else did it even if he doesn't really like Santa all that much.
Matthew's turn. He is wearing his train winter hat to (in Matthew's words), "Let everyone know that I cheer for trains!" He didn't take it off all day!
This week I have been doing lots of baking. I have also had lots of 'help'. Every time I would pull out a pot or the mixer I instantly had two helpers willing to 'help' if that's what you want to call it. I made bread and while my back was turned Sarah and Noah got into the flour. What a mess. The picture doesn't even do it justice! There was flour in their hair, faces, clothes, hands, etc. Luckily for me this help comes free and, yes, you do get what you pay for ;).
When they weren't having a flour throwing party they were playing the drums with my bread ingredients. Maybe they can tour with their sweet drum skills ;).
When I went to check on Sarah last night before I went to bed I found my sweet little girl fast asleep. When I see this I wonder how she can be so mischievous during the day?!
Our mornings around here can be pretty chaotic since the three oldest have to leave for school almost at the same time. I usually wake up, break up a few fights, make lunch, break up a few fights, medicate the kids, break up a few fights, make sure breakfast has been eaten and cleaned up for the kids, break up a few fights, find coats, backpacks and homework, make sure teeth have been brushed, break up some more fights and say prayers. Yes things are chaotic!! So yesterday while I was making the boys' lunches Noah came waddling over to me. When I saw him I burst out laughing and that made him start crying. He had gotten himself dressed, but had put both legs in the same leg of his shorts so he could barely walk. He didn't like that I was laughing because of this so he started crying. And, yes, in the background you can tell I am needing to go break up some fights, too. Mornings are hard around here!! Poor Noah, I helped him fix his dilemma and after he ran away happy to join in the melee of the morning.
Here's Matthew:
Here's Josh:
No comments:
Post a Comment